Yang practice recommented after yin?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
mam5262

Yang practice recommented after yin?

Post by mam5262 »

Hi Bernie,

I have been doing Paul Grilley's Yin yoga practices for about 3 years. I also try to fit in a good Yang flow a couple of times a week-but have some difficulties motivating myself for the yang.

My question is this-After being "pulled apart" in a yin practice, would it be a good idea to follow it directly with some yang work to"put ourselves back together again?" I am mainly talking about our ligaments and joints, but this could also apply to our emotional/spiritual beings too.

Thanks for your forum and website. They are very helpful!
Bernie

Yang after Yin

Post by Bernie »

Certainly! Yang after Yin works really well. If you watch any of Sarah Powers' DVDs you will see that she offers both forms of practice: yin first and yang second. It is lovely. Physically, the body is more open after the yin practice so you can work deeply into the muscles now, but also mentally and emotionally you are open. As you note, sometimes the motivation to do a yang practice is lagging, and after a yin practice, it is an excellent time to turn the juice on and get moving. We need that yang balance to our yin-time.

People tend to do what they like, not what they need. Many people fall totally in love with Yin Yoga, and they neglect the yang practice: we need both to be balanced. 45 mins of Yin followed by 45 minutes of Yang is a great way to start any day.

Cheers
Bernie