Yin for Seniors?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Lydia

Yin for Seniors?

Post by Lydia »

Question - do you teach Yin to seniors? Are there really so many
benefits for them or would they be better off with a gentle Yoga
practice and some meditation?

If you would teach Yin to seniors, how is
your approach different from teaching younger adults?

Also...I have not been receiving notifications from the Kula. I have to investigate this. Maybe because I have been inactive???

Lydia
Bernie

Is Yin "in" for the elderly?

Post by Bernie »

Hi Lydia

Thanks for asking this question via the forum. I am sure there are teachers out there in Yin-Land who can also add to this discussion.

Short answer: Yin is great for seniors.
Long answer: see below.

I often get seniors attending my Yin Yoga classes and they say that the practice is very helpful, however I do not have classes specifically for seniors. (How old do you have to be, to be a senior by the way? I am 55 - do I quality yet? :wink: ) I am waiting for some entrepreneurial Yoga teacher to starts a "Boomer's Yoga" class, targeting those born around 1950 or earlier. We do have different needs than the 30-somethings.

A good way to think of this is using a metaphor from Paul Grilley - the trajectory of aging. We all follow this trajectory, but some follow it faster than others. Yoga helps to slow it down. The trajectory begins with birth: the most yang stage of our life. Babies are all mobility and flexibility and need to gain stability or strength. The first stages of aging are about gaining strength, not flexibility. In this stage, yang forms of yoga are very beneficial. Focus on the muscles! Get stronger.

From the day we are born we become more yin-like. Yin is stability versus Yang's mobility. At some point, perhaps in our 20's or 30's, we reach that mid-point. We are balanced between yin and yang: we have the flexibility we need and the stability we need. But, unfortunately, the trajectory continues...we keep getting more yin-like. If only we could hit the pause button and stay there, but we can't.

As we age, we get stiffer and stiffer. We can be strong well into our declining years, but the real health issues develop out of stagnation. Our joints shrink-wrap. Our ligaments shrink. Our brains shrink. We dry up and curl up, until, like a leaf in autumn, we crumble into dust and blow away. As we age, we need more yin practice to combat the growing rigidity.

Youth is a time for yang: Seniors need yin. Of course we need it all, but it is the relative importance that changes. Most of the seniors that come to my class are looking to regain mobility, especially in their joints, or to rekindle the flow of energy through their bodies. They can all benefit from yin yoga.

The chances that a senior student has serious conditions and ailments are high. It may well be that a private class, or a Yin Yoga class with restorative elements would serve them very well. But, as I mentioned, many seniors benefit from the general classes I offer as well: they just modify the poses as directed, when the full pose is not available to them. As the teacher, you do have to pay attention to the older students who don't seem able to do the pose as you describe it: just go up to them and ask what they are feeling. Based on the feedback, you can adjust the pose, add some props or put them into something different and more appropriate for them.

I hope this helps ... and if other readers have some experience to share, please do so.

cheers
Bernie

ps - I am not sure why you haven't been getting notifications from the discussion board! Very mysterious this stuff.
Lydia

Yin for Seniors - my paradox

Post by Lydia »

hmmmm...Bernie, thanks for the response, short and long regarding yin for seniors. I myself am a boomer, of 53, and do not at all feel like I am in a more yin state than I used to be. I am an example of a menopausal woman dealing with the usual hormonal issues being unable to sleep well and having general anxiety along with typical heart palpitations. I am in a highly Yang state, with the hot flashes to prove the excess heat. Therefore the yin practice helps to cool me down and ground me. Ok enough about me...but...
what I am getting to is this, and I feel a paradox coming: if we become more yin as we age, and I agree this is tru, don't we need more yang activities for keep our energy and vitality high? Of course, yin practice is necessary for all the reasons you describe, the dryness etc. but older people are already shorter, closer to the ground and I would think need the sun aspect in their lives.
Peace.
Lydia
Bernie

Senior Yin

Post by Bernie »

I can understand the confusion: let me try to be clearer.

When we are new born babies, we are indeed all yang - fluid and mobile. What we need is stability to balance or mobility. So, in this respect you can say we need yin then to balance our yang. However, it is what needs the yin that we are looking at here. When we are new, it is our musculature that needs to become stronger. It is our yang tissues that need work.

Remember that to work yang tissues we need yang exercises. Using yin techniques on yang tissues can be harmful. So, we target the yang tissues and with our yoga practice we make them stronger.

When we get older, actually anytime after our 30's, we lose mobility and become more and more stable - ie: stiff, tight, shrunken. This reflects our yin tissues becoming stagnant. Since it is our yin tissues now that are the problem, we need a yin form of exercise to safely work them. Yes, we want to restore mobility (yang) to these tissues, but we need to do it in a yin yoga way. To work yin tissues, we need yin exercises.

So you are correct - when young we want more yin in our yang tissues and when we are older we want more yang in our yin tissues. What I was referring to are the tissues we need to target, and that dictates the form of exercise that is safest to use. Yin yoga will safely bring yang to our connective tissues.

If this still seems counter-intuitive, look again at the yin/yang meatball logo. You will see in the midst of the dark yin swirl, there is a yang white spot and vice versa. Even in yin, we find yang.

We need both, of course!

Wisdom is knowing what is needed to achieve wholeness at any particular time. Sometimes we need yang; sometimes yin, but generally (and this is a generalizations which means it is not always correct) we need more of one at different stages in our life than the other.

I hope this helps.
Cheers
Bernie