Yin Only?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Rikpa

Yin Only?

Post by Rikpa »

i totally love doing yin. after all these years doing a variety of different
styles, i am naturally drawn to yin. however, can this be my only practice?
should i be doing other more active styles as well? looking forward to your comments. however, i'm off to do another yin practice now... :)
Bernie

Yin AND Yang

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rikpa ... welcome to the kula.

Can yin be your only practice? It could, but really we want balance in life - so I definitely do a lot of yang yoga as well. It may depend upon what is happening in your life, how old you are and your state of health.

The older we get, the more the body needs a yin style of exercise and mindfulness. When we are really young, that is the time for active yang exercise. In mid-life, a balance is definitely the way to go.

If you are suffering any health issues, if you feel burnt-out, over stressed and just plain exhausted or depleted, you may want to just do yin yoga for a while, until a balance is restored.

At my age, 54, I am 50/50 in my practice - half yin and half yang. I still love and benefit from an active sweaty practice. But I also love to marinate in the juiciness of yin yoga too.

Cheers
Bernie