Stress and psoriasis & arthritis

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Bernie

Stress and psoriasis & arthritis

Post by Bernie »

I recently received this email:

Hello Bernie,

I have recently discovered your website and have been trying to practice yin yoga. I used to practice hatha and power yoga regularly when I was living in the U.S. I am currently living in France now and there are not many yoga studios around where I live. Anyway, I have psoriasis, and this year developed psoriatic arthritis. I am only 28 years old, and have always been very physically active so this has been quite difficult. I have been going through a lot of stress so I'm sure that's what brought it on. So now I am very limited in physical activity, and a friend of mine, who is a certified yoga instructor, suggested I look into yin yoga. So I want to say thank you for your site, b/c I already feel a little better. I wanted to ask, if I am limited to yin yoga, do you think that once my arthritis calms down, I will be able to start yang yoga again? Since my arthritis is brought on when my psoriasis flares up, my doctor said it is not chronic, but that it can go away when my psoriasis calms down. Anyway, if you have any advice or tips I would appreciate it.

Thank you again!
----------------------------------------

For people who don’t know about this condition, psoriasis is a common, chronic skin condition that causes red patches on the body. Most people have heard about psoriasis but unfortunately about 1 in 20 people with psoriasis will develop arthritis along with the skin condition. In most cases, psoriasis comes before the arthritis. Also, unfortunately, the cause of psoriatic arthritis is not known but there is a very good online resource that I am sure you are already aware of: www.psoriasis.org.

In the above web site it explains that while there is no known cure for this malady, the key is to keep exercising, so your intention to continue to do yoga is great. However, it is easy to overdo it. If you feel weak, sore or tired after the practice you are probably going too far. Since this condition affects the joints, a gentle yin yoga practice may be ideal for you, but you still want to have some easy yang movements too: walking is excellent, as is swimming or gentle hatha practices. By “gentle” I mean: short holds - maybe only 1 ~ 3 minutes, and the easier poses like Butterfly, Sphinx pose, Reclining Twists and Bananasa. [See the Asana tab for details on these poses.]

Another big advantage to these exercises and especially Yin Yoga is the stress reduction aspect: stay mindful and present. Make these sessions into moving meditations. Watch what arises but don’t react to it negatively: stay present - practice C.O.R.A. which means, “clear, open, radiant awareness.” Feel what is touching the ground, feel what moves as you happen to breathe, notice the temperature of the air against your skin - all this helps you become more present and consequently, without even trying, more relaxed.

Most doctors will recommend some form of anti-immflammatories to help reduce the swelling which stresses the joints and eats away at the body from the inside out. Listen to your doctors but also you may want to consider a non-drug based source of anti-inflammation: Earthing. Read this Newsletter Article on Earthing - I can personally vouch that it can and does reduce inflammation and it may really help you.

Another possibility to check into is an alternate healing modality: Ayurveda. My partner used to occasionally develop psoriasis but it went away when she adopted an Ayurvedic diet. If you would like to know more about that, feel free to reply and she can communicate with you, or see a local, trained Ayurvedic doctor. (I don’t know how many there are in France, so again, feel free to ask for further advice.)

I hope some of this help. Do check out the Earthing article and let me know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie
rebekahlegall

Post by rebekahlegall »

Thank you Bernie so much for your insight! I will try to hold the poses less than 3 minutes b/c my body has become a little weaker this year after all the psoriasis flare ups. I do go on walks almost everyday with my husband, which has been really good, slowly regaining strength. Every so often if the arthritis in my feet is a little flared up it makes walking hard. But that is happening less often now.

The Earthing article was great! I found it very interesting and believe that to be true. My husband always says that Man was made to live in nature, not in boxes. I live in a rather cold part of France so not sure if I will be able to do that as easily. But I try to get out in nature and fresh air as much as possible. Also, in several months we will be moving back to the U.S. in a warmer climate, so that might help.

Also, yes I am very interested in connecting with your partner concerning the Ayurvedic diet. Unfortunately modern medecine has no cure for psoriasis, so yes I definitely believe that a change in life style can help to control it and heal it. I try to avoid taking anti-inflamatories as much as possible. I have done research in the past on certain foods that can help psoriasis and arthritis. But yes if she has any other information she can give me that would be much appreciated.

Thank you again!
Rebekah
Bernie

Earthing

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rebekah - I will have Nathalie (my partner) reply to you separately. Regarding the earthing process, yes - when the weather gets inclimate it is difficult to get grounded. Fortunately they are relatively cheap bands that you can use to keep your grounded even in winter: these bands have silver strands through a fabric that is connected to the ground wire of your electrical outlet (the bottom hole). This is the same as touching the earth. You may want to check this out at The Earthing Institute. You can also order their products here.

Cheers
Bernie
rebekahlegall

Post by rebekahlegall »

Hello Bernie,

I meant to ask you this before... how often do you recommend that I do yin yoga? Since I have psoriatic arthritis, I wasn't sure if doing it everyday would be too much, or if I should have a day of rest in between.

Thank you again!
Rebekah
Bernie

How often to do yin yoga

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rebekah

Your question is a good one and one that gets frequently asked. You may want to read these threads:

http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic ... 0a20f21157

http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=410

Let me know if they don't answer your question.
Cheers
Bernie
Miranda77

Post by Miranda77 »

Hello!
I believe fitness and general wellbeing with psoriasis is very important. Yoga is great - for mind and spirit. If I may - I do have this condition. And I try natural treatment. Many won't believe but I am dealing with psoriasis using mostly natural methods that work, sometimes is better and sometimes is worse. In combination with yoga - it is the best support for drugs & pills one can have.

I do reccomend: https://solongpsoriasis.com/natural-rem ... psoriasis/

cheers :)