KarnaPidasana pose. How long should I keep the pose?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
BabuKhan

KarnaPidasana pose. How long should I keep the pose?

Post by BabuKhan »

Ok...well I had bit of difficulty with tinnitus problem in one of my ear due to exposure to high frequency loud sounds and as a result of that it has caused hearing problem for me. I read on different sites that doing a Karnapidasana (or Karna Pidasana) pose may help with hearing loss and tinnitus problem.

I can comfortably do this pose with ease but my question for how many reps and seconds should I do it? I really don't have any information regarding yoga but I learned about this pose and now I'm wondering as to how many times and how long in each repetition should I do for?

Thanks. :)
Bernie

Karnapidasana

Post by Bernie »

Karnapidasana is recommended by B.K.S. Iyengar for people with ear pain. The name itself talks to this: karna = ear; pida = pain, or pressure; asana = posture. In his book, Light on Yoga, he recommends holding the pose for 30 seconds to one minute, but this is after doing Halasana (Plough Pose) for one to five minutes. It is the inversion that is therapeutic, not just the squeezing of the ears with the knees. (If pressure on the ears was all that was required, you wouldn't need to use your knees to do that, you could just use your hands while sitting to do the same thing.) In another book, Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health, Iyengar recommends simple inversions, like Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall Pose) for ear ailments. So again - the inversion is the key to healing.

In the Yin Yoga repertoire, you can try Snail or Wall Caterpillar for 3 to 5 minutes at a time, and see how it goes. As always, go easy at first and really pay attention to the affects of the posture. While you say that you can easily come into these postures, if you are not experienced with these poses, it is wise to err on the side of less is more in the beginning, and really check how you feel during and after the poses.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes.
Bernie