Yin yoga problems (digestion, electrolytes, pulse pressure)

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
nixonyin

Yin yoga problems (digestion, electrolytes, pulse pressure)

Post by nixonyin »

I have been practicing yin yoga for about three years and my biggest problem which seems to be evolving has to do with the lower abdominal region.
The first time I had this problem was about two years ago after many yin yoga sessions. My stomach began to feel bloated and a worsening pain became present whenever I digested even something very healthy. I was drinking plenty of water but nothing changed. I suffered for two months with what felt like bubbles and gas in the intestines. Finally after realizing that the coconut water was not working I tried poweraid. This has an almost immediate effect of curing my problem and it felt as though my system equalized and I felt very well.
I continued to do yoga applying electrolyte drinks whenever my stomach began to cramp as before. The poweraid stopped working. I began to try new things until I tried Himalayan pink salts. The electrolytes in the salts cured my problem and I felt well again. No more upset stomach, no more twitching mussels. I began to rely on these salts in low quantity and they worked, for awhile.
I moved to a different city and started a new job. My diet was not as good , and even though I was not doing any yoga, the problem began again because of semi-poor diet. This time the previous symptoms were accompanied by a feeling of increased pulse pressure in my body. I noticed this most in my lower abdomen and heart. I would fall to sleep with my heart beating very hard. I went to the doctor and they took my blood pressure and did a blood test. "His vitals are all normal" they said. What is this? I tried taking everything from Magnesium citrate to Alkaline water with little improvement. I got fired from my job. :(
I am back in my home town and asked my Yen Hot yoga teacher (Kate - Yen yoga and fitness) simply because the younger yin teachers probably wouldn't have a clue. Kate seemed to know and told me to stop taking the Himalayan pink salts. I did notice that the past formulas like poweraid and Pink salts now did actually have an adverse effect, causing me to tense up. She recommended that I try Elete tablets. I ordered some online and am keeping my hopes up that this cures the problem. I really just want to know what is going on. I went to a yin yoga session yesterday and I couldn't calm down. It seemed as if my heart rate and pulse were much to hard. Normally my heart is calm and my pulse soft and unnoticeable. I hope I discover what is wrong.

-Alex :roll:
Alexander Nixon
Bernie

Yoga for mysterious ailments

Post by Bernie »

Hi Alex

Your situation sounds very mysterious and naturally frustrating. Not knowing why we experience health issues, seeking medical advice and finding nothing offered, is disheartening. While this Forum does not offer medical advice, I hope that someone who has shared your experience does see your post and offer you some suggestions that worked for him/her. Until then, I suppose all you can do is to keep being your own doctor: keep investigating what makes your condition better and worse and adapt your lifestyle, diet and exercise appropriately. Those are the three big keys to health.

Yoga is a wonderful practice and can be very healing, but it is not a panacea. There are many conditions and ailments that yoga can not cure. Your situation may not be helped by yoga, but certainly yoga can continue to helping you in other ways: I would hope that in your frustration you do not give up your practice. I too suffered a mysterious ailment that yoga was unable to resolve, but I found that yoga and mediation allowed me to witness the condition without despair. A mindful presence to what is actually happening is very helpful: we don’t have to allow our minds, our thoughts, our emotions to go wild - we don’t have to be overwhelmed with anxiety and worry about what might be happening to us. We can practice simply being present and noticing what is actually happening, without adding any drama to it, without taking anything away from it.

Good luck with your journey.
Bernie