osteoporosis and spinal rounding

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
Asha Ravari

osteoporosis and spinal rounding

Post by Asha Ravari »

:?: Hello, fellow yinsters,
I am finding yinyoga extremely beneficial on many levels. What a blessing to again relax and just let go.
I am concerned about osteoporosis and rounding of the spine. Most sources say to do gentle back bends to strengthen the muscles and bones.
Isn't this the opposite effect?
And how about hypertension? Again does rounding of the spine raise blood pressure?
Where is a good source for the health benefits of yin yoga?
I, of course, have read Bernie's book, and have ordered some of Sarah Power's.
Thanks for any replies.
Namaste, Asha
Bernie

Yin, Osteoporsis and forward bends

Post by Bernie »

As always, anyone with osteoporosis to any degree should check with their health care provider before beginning any yoga practice. It would also be a very good idea to know their Dexa score so they can tell their yoga teacher as well (a Dexa scan reveals the degree of degeneration in the lumbar spine, which is a good indicator of overall bone density.)

An excellent resource to understand yoga (in general) and osteoporosis, or even milder osteopenia, is Dr Loren Fishman's upcoming book Yoga and Osteoporosis. You don't have to wait for the book: you can check his web site for stuff now: http://www.sciatica.org.

To avoid any possibility of a "wedge fracture" of the vertebrae, all forward bends should be strictly avoided if you have osteopenia or osteoporosis. this includes Yin Yoga forward bends. A wedge fracture is where the vertebra gets thinner in the front of the spine, until eventually it fails and factures. Since this is the front of the spine, forward bends put extra pressure onto the degenerating bone.

Now, it is possible to strengthen the bones, and Yin Yoga is an excellent way to do just that. Dr Fishman has many yang ideas as well. Anything that creates compression on the bones helps. Yang yoga will use the muscles to create that compression. Yin yoga will use passive postures to do the same thing, and for longer periods. Just don't do any forward bends, and go very gently!

Re hypertension: usually we are concerned if the head is below the heart, which occurs in inversions, including mild ones like downdog. I am not aware of any studies that show forward bending increases blood pressure, if the head is not below the heart (ie: Caterpillar shouldn't increase blood pressure to the head, Dangling will.)

Cheers
Bernie