Lyme Disease

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Zeke

Lyme Disease

Post by Zeke »

I am trying to give good information to a man who has suffered from Lyme Disease and is concerned about restarting what had been a very active (Ashtanga) yoga practice. The Lyme knocked him out for a long time, but it is now in remission. His concern is that stretching might reactivate dormant spirochetes.

I know that yin can lead to the release of trapped toxins into the lymphatic system as fascia reorganizes itself. This is seen as a good thing. However, I wonder if the same might happen with these spirochetes with negative consequences.

I'd welcome any thoughts from people who may have dealt with this in their own practice or with students.

Thank you.

Zeke
Bernie

Is yoga safe after Lyme disease?

Post by Bernie »

Hi Zeke

As you already know, Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria that enters our body from the bite of a tic. Doctors will put patients on an antibiotic for 2~4 weeks which will kill the bacteria but the effects of the infection may linger for 6 months. I hope your student has been treated and all the bacteria has been killed! If so, than there should be no worry that the Borrelia spirochetes can become reactivated. But, really your student should get the all clear from her/his doctor.

Assuming there is no lingering infection, then physical therapy should be safe. This physiotherapy website suggests “Direct physical therapy interventions include massage, range of motion, myofascial release, and modalities including ultrasound, moist heat, and paraffin. Exercise prescription is aimed at improving strength and gradually increasing the patient's conditioning level which may be severely impaired as a result of chronic Lyme infection. Whole-body workouts generally feature extensive stretching, light calisthenics, and light resistance training with low loads and high repetitions., From this description, yoga seems to be a good form of exercise.

(By the way, when we see a scary phase like “chronic Lyme infection,, usually this is referring to the 6 month recovery period that some people go through after the antibiotic treatment. The more accurate time for this is “Post-treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome,.)

Once again, while I see no documented evidence that yoga or physical evidence would be harmful, your student really should discuss her/his concern with her doctor first, and then with that feedback you can both work out a protocol for her yoga practice that should help her recover from the effects of the infection.

Cheers
Bernie