question about sleeping swan

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
joylo

question about sleeping swan

Post by joylo »

I teach a weekly class at a physio clinic. One of my clients finds when she is in sleeping swan, after a minute or so , her front foot goes cold. She is not in any discomfort and will hold the pose for the full time. She is probably in her early 30's and has no physical issues.
Thanks for your help
Bernie

Cold feet

Post by Bernie »

Hi Joylo

It is not unusual for students to have bits of their bodies fall asleep, especially in long held postures. This is a frequent bane of meditators too, who often experience their feet and legs going numb after sitting for a long time. Generally, this indicates that blood flow has been reduced, possibly due to pressure on the femoral artery which feeds the legs. And that can be caused by too much flexion in the hip creating some impingement on the artery. Sometimes, a simple change in alignment is enough to prevent this from happening. For meditators, changing the angle of the leg or sitting up higher on a bit more cushions is enough. For yogis, changing the alignment of the hips and legs may also be helpful.

Maybe you can work with your student to find a place where here feet don't go cold? Bring the foot more inward, or try moving the knee more outward or inward? Another option is to place a folded blanket under the front hip or even the bolster under the pelvis completely. Another option: rest her upper body onto a bolster so she doesn't flex quite so much in the hips when she comes forward. Or a combination of all the above.

Play around with the posture and see what alignment/propping works for her. Cold feet are not necessary for this pose, nor is any reduction in blood flow. While it is not harmful for such a short period of time, it is still better to allow the energy to flow.

Let us know what works for her.
Cheers
Bernie
joylo

Post by joylo »

Thank you for your guidance.
Over the last couple classes , she and I have worked on the pose and have found the version of the pose that works for her. Bringing the front knee a little more to mid line and propping up that hip was where she found comfort in the pose.
"my foot is alive" ...it was a great day for both of us!
Thanks again!
:D
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Great! She has discovered her pigeon!
Nice.