Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

disectomy of L4/5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melaniestaker

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: disectomy of L4/5 Reply with quote

I have a 38 year old fit student who had a disectomy of L4/L5 on anterior side of spine. Her surgeon has given her no information.
A 4 inch incision was made and wing of one vertabrae cut off to access anterior side.
As well, parts were 'deboned' muscle seperated from bone.
This procedure happened in Sept. 2018
Are forward bends ok...with rounded spine....she said can feel good.
Twists ok??? I read other forum posts but not sure for this anterior situation.

namaste
melanie
Bernie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised that her surgeon has given no instructions for your student. Some sort of physical therapy should have been offered. I would suggest she go back to her doctor and request/demand the missing information: what movements should she avoid, for how long and to what depth; what movements should she be doing, for how long and to what depth?

Are flexion positions good for her? You have no idea. Without her surgeon's advice, she will have to embark on trial and error investigations, which should start very gently and involve lots of checking in. Short holds to begin with and shallow movements. Gentle backbends like Sphinx may help to lightly stress the anterior ligament of the spine. Gentle twists could be good, but again, nothing deep nor long.

I would also recommend some strength building in the area: McGill Big 3 for example, keeping the spine neutral throughout.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: