Poses beyond Yin Asanas

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
AhimsaNirata

Poses beyond Yin Asanas

Post by AhimsaNirata »

Bowing to all of you, I wonder if you can satisfy a burning question that I currently have. I happen to use the "Threading the Needle" pose to relieve shoulder tension from sitting at the desk all day. It works very well and I've integrated into my daily Yin and meditation practice. (this pose is not to be confused with another pose named Eye of the Needle, where one is lying on your back, cradling your shin pose).

Can anyone share their insight on why this is not considered a YIN pose? Or it is and isn't listed...or something else?

Thanks so much! I'm delighted to break my long-time lurker status!

Danielle :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Danielle -- can you describe the version of Threading the Needle you mean? I am not familiar with it. In any case, there are certain many poses that can be done in a yin-way: long-held, static stress with muscles relaxed. There is a sequence of yin postures for the upper body described in this Newsletter from 2011. Normally, yin yoga poses target the area from the navel to the knees, but this doesn't mean other areas can benefit from yin stresses. However, the less stable an area is, the shorter the holds, in general.

Cheers
Bernie
AhimsaNirata

Post by AhimsaNirata »

Hi Bernie!

Wow, thanks so much for your reply! I feel like a gushing fangirl, so I have to share with you that I honor and treasure your teachings via your books and online classes (Gaia.com) - you have changed my practice into something I lovingly call home. Thank you so much for all of your compassionate effort and guidance you impart to the world. You have certainly enlightened my world for the better.

The pose in particular that I do is this one:

https://www.gaia.com/article/thread-nee ... a-balasana

Thanks so much again!

Bowing to you,

Danielle :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Thanks for the kind feedback, Danielle.

Yes, that pose looks like a great candidate for a yin practice. Not everyone can rotate their chest as far as the yogi in the picture, which means some twisting will have to happen in the neck, and for many people that may be too much. For those students, I would suggest shorter holds: maybe 2 minutes to start.

Cheers
Bernie
AhimsaNirata

Post by AhimsaNirata »

Ah, I see!

Thank you so much for your insight into this pose and the yin practice. I appreciate your time!

Namaste!