Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone ever done yoga after spinal fusion surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberlydearth47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Has anyone ever done yoga after spinal fusion surgery Reply with quote

I had spinal fusion surgery with rods and screws and a discectomy on L5-S1 ( lower back). I know that this type of surgery takes a while to recover. I had my surgery on December 18th and I still can't lift over 5lbs, still walking with a walker and still can't bend, lift, or twist. I was told by several people that I won't be able to lift 30 pounds until I am 6 months post op! This is scary for me in so many ways. Right now I am out on medical leave at work. My job description requires me to at least be able to lift 50 pounds and under. At this point I am not sure when that will be. I would like to start slowly doing some yoga. Has anyone else ever had this type of surgery and if so when did you start doing yoga again? That is if you did.
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kimberly

I also look forward to hearing from anyone with spinal fusion. I have no personal experience with the procedure, but have a friend who just had a similar operation. She is taking things very slow. As always, it is best to follow the advice of your physical therapist. Every body is different, so you will have to experiment, pay attention, and see how it goes for you.

I did write an article a while ago on back pain. it doesn't strictly apply to your case, but the yin yoga flow there might be worth trying once you get the okay from your health team. Obviously your range of motion will be restricted, so now is not the time to try to gain lots of mobility. Strengthening is more important (check out Stu McGill's Big 3 exercises for good ways to do that. I discuss them in my recent book Your Spine, Your Yoga).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Bernie
kimberlydearth47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Spine issues Reply with quote

Wow! Bernie, I feel so special that you are the one who responded to my question. I will definitely ask my physical therapist once I am able to get one. Hopefully my surgeon will prescribe it when I go back to see him on January 23rd. It is a very long and slow recovery process. I won't be able to lift more than 10 pounds when I go back on the 23rd. I am so hoping I will be able to do away with the walker after that appointment. Unfortunately it seems like it will be a while before I can go back to work. I have to be able to at least lift 50 pounds at my job. It's a very physically demanding job. I have to stand on a concrete floor for 10 hours a night. So I really want to build up my strength before I go back. I feel yoga is the best way to do that! Thank you for your input and I will definitely check out your book. Have a blessed day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: