Yin & yang yoga - pulsing?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Restoreyoga

Yin & yang yoga - pulsing?

Post by Restoreyoga »

Hello,

I recently attended a yin & yang yoga class whilst on a recent trip to Bali.

The class was 45 mins yang followed by 45 mins of yin yoga. The yang yoga focused on “pulsing” movements, I can’t recall exactly the rationale for this but the teacher commented something along the lines of this getting into the fascia ready for yin yoga.

I’ve never heard this rationale before as a teacher of yin yoga, and I’ve followed the yin/yang combination and ordering debate for some time.

Does anyone know any more about this? Is there any science behind this approach?

Warmly,

Claire
admin
Site Admin

Re: Yin & yang yoga - pulsing?

Post by admin »

Hello Claire

Thanks for the post. While I do like pulsating movements in my yang practice (something I learned from Desikachar), I don't think it "prepares" the fascia. It warms up the muscles, which can be good or bad for the yin practice that follows, depending upon whether you are targeting the serial tissues (bad) or the parallel tissues (good). I discuss this idea more in the article How to Create Yin - Yang Fusion Classes. But, sorry — I don't know that teacher made that claim.

Cheers
Bernie