Would there be a benefit to doing just ONE yin pose daily?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
toaster

Would there be a benefit to doing just ONE yin pose daily?

Post by toaster »

I love yin and usually do it a couple times per week. I would love to commit to doing it more often, but I have trouble fitting it in with other types of yoga, strength training, cardio, etc.

Yesterday I had this thought--what if I committed to doing at least ONE yin pose daily? I am sure I could fit this in during the evenings, but would it be worthwhile? Would my body benefit from just a very short practice like this?

If you all do think that this would be beneficial, what would be some of the best yin poses to do in this situation? I am afraid that I would only choose my favorites. :roll:

Thanks for the help!
YogiBethC on FB, IG, and YouTube
EmilyL

Post by EmilyL »

Something is always better than nothing. I can't recommend you anything because as a beginner I am just getting started with it, but I am sure @Bernie can help you.
toaster

Post by toaster »

Thanks Emily! Yes, that is my usual philosophy. I am wondering if some of the benefits of yin's ability to stretch the connective tissues can be realized with just one pose a day. Hopefully Bernie/others will respond!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I remember Sarah Powers telling me once that if you only have 5 minutes available, do Butterfly pose! Yes, something is better than nothing, so it is all good. Don't try to do more postures in a shorter time, just do fewer postures in the time you have.

Cheers
Bernie

ps - don't take Sarah's words too literally! If you have been sitting at a desk all day, do Sphinx pose! Or work the hips...all good!
toaster

Post by toaster »

Thanks Bernie! Yes, that was my idea--i.e., try not to force a lot of postures but just do one that would give me the most bang for my buck. :lol:

I love butterfly! Are there others that would be a great full practice in one posture?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

depends what you need. Don't do any deep ones (no Snail probably) but I love Saddle pose by itself.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I absolutely incorporate Yin every day. I also do it at the end of my more active sequences and after other forms of exercise. After a long run, for example, I will do a 5 minute frog pose followed by a 3 minute forward bend.
toaster

Post by toaster »

Christine wrote:I absolutely incorporate Yin every day. I also do it at the end of my more active sequences and after other forms of exercise. After a long run, for example, I will do a 5 minute frog pose followed by a 3 minute forward bend.
Christine, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I like the idea of frog pose--this is one we did pretty often during my yoga teacher training (which wasn't yin, but one teacher was Baptiste-trained, and he likes this pose). Since then I haven't done it enough!
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Hi Bernie.

What is the idea behind Butterfly because nowadays, when we look at older people, a lot of them are « forward folded » ; one of their problem seems to be an unopen heart.

From a physical point of view, when there is no time for a full session, a moderate backbend like a mild supported fish pose for example (instead of an isolated forward bend) shouldn't be more beneficial ?

Thank you.

Christophe.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Christophe...as I said above "If you have been sitting at a desk all day, do Sphinx pose! Or work the hips...all good!"

I agree that Butterfly may not be a good choice for everyone (nothing is!) But, even for people who have been rounding a lot, Butterfly may still be a good pose because, we contract around the range of motion we practice. If you are hunched forward all day over a computer, you actually reduce your flexion range of motion as well as your extension. Butterfly can take you deeper into flexion than you habitually go, thus regaining your normal, full range of movement.

You suggest Fish pose but this is not a great pose for many people either due to too much stress on the neck. I would suggest Sphinx or supported bridge. But, the answer, as always, is "it depends!"

Cheers!
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Thank you Bernie.

Your answer helps me to understand how easy it is to think in a wrong way.

When I was suggesting a supported mild fish pose, it was with a block under the head in order to avoid stress on the neck...isn't it ok this way ? Maybe is it then more restorative yoga than yin.

Cheers
Christophe
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

A supported Fish pose may be okay: it depends on the intention and what the student is feeling. If this is intended to be moderate backbend, and the student is feeling some extension stress, then it works. But, if it is too supported, there may be no stress there. Again, Sphinx pose may be simpler and more effective, but as always, it depends!

Cheers!