roll up spine in yang yoga and how to see it from yin ?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Yoprihessy

roll up spine in yang yoga and how to see it from yin ?

Post by Yoprihessy »

Dear Bernie

I have big question related to roll up spine that usually use when we do Yang Yoga.
Some articles said that this movement is not good and risking our lumbar spine due to compression. Over compression.

But in our Yin poses, we intentionally compress our spine disk for the reason that we believe could bring health for the bone.

I think i don't need to attache those article that saying rolling up spine is danger (some from yoga international forum).
Because i believe you might already heard about it

Can you help to explain to me about this from the point of view anatomy, both for Yang and Yin yoga?

Thank you so much.
Yoprihessy
YP
Bernie

Rolling up?

Post by Bernie »

Hi Yoprihessy

My next book, Your Spine, Your Yoga, will have a section on this very topic! But, I can summarize my thoughts very briefly here - our spine is designed to do this movement! It is not inherently dangerous and can be very therapeutic. Indeed, in the Pilates world, this is a commonly taught movement. Certainly, there are some people with very fragile spines who do have to take care when rounding the spine, but for the vast majority of people, this is not only safe but a good idea. Like all tissues, the discs of our spine need stress to regain and maintain optimal health.

To learn more, please check out my book when it comes out in early fall.

Cheers!
Bernie
Yoprihessy

Post by Yoprihessy »

Dear Bernie..

Thanks and sorry for late reply.
Please please inform me ASAP when your book comes out, since here in my country does not recognize fall 😀

Best regards
Yo
YP
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Best way to make sure you know about the launch of the book is to subscribe to my Newsletter. Cheers!