Cold muscle regarding relaxtion

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
KristofferFrey

Cold muscle regarding relaxtion

Post by KristofferFrey »

Namaste everyone ;-)

My purpose regarding yin yoga is to target the the deeper tissues. My aim is to get more flexible. In Bernie Clarks book "The complete guide to Yin yoga" Bernie advice to train yin yoga when muscle are "cold" tex in morning after sleep if the target is the deeper tissue.

My question is:
Will 25 min relaxation be enough time to muscle get "cold"- Will 25 min Relaxtion where the whole body and muscle is total relaxed be sufficient time to be consider that muscles is "cold"???

Anybody knows that?
Best
Kristoffer Frey
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Kris

The answer to your question is - maybe! It all depends. How warm were the muscles before your 25 minute rest? What time of day is it? What were you doing right before? Are you a normally stiff or flexible person. Other factors can depend on (if you are a woman) where you are in your menstrual cycle, how well you rested last night, if you are dehydrated, sick, inflamed or in pain. It also depends upon the temperature of the room and how many layers of clothing you are wearing.

Having given all those caveats, don't go overboard with this whole "muscles must be cool" edict. It is a generalization and doesn't apply to everybody. What is far more important is how YOU feel after 25 minutes? Does your Yin Yoga practice seem more effective then? If so, great! If not, its also great...some Yin Yoga is better than no Yin Yoga, so don't skip it because you don't think you are cold enough yet.

You can read a bit more about this here and here.

Cheers
Bernie