Yin Yoga in calming autistic children?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
JackTangles

Yin Yoga in calming autistic children?

Post by JackTangles »

I'm not sure if there's any validity to this but my second born has autism and i find that doing yin yoga is one of the few times in the day where she can calm down and not be totally distracted by the sounds and lights around her. just thought i'd share! anyone else have a similar experience?
siska

Re: Yin Yoga in calming autistic children?

Post by siska »

Hi Jack,

There is a ten year old asperger child in my yin yoga class. He has been regularly attending the session (with other adults) for the past 6 months or so. He told me that he likes the session because it allows him to chill and relax. His mother shared that the boy has since, moved to regular class in school, had much less tantrum breakdown, more able to handle hot weather and crowd.

While there are many references on yoga and autism, I could not find any reference that specifically explains how yin yoga works. But I suppose the slow pace and relaxation, also the things that we get to convey during the few minutes wait in each poses, allow them to absorb things and let them settle.

This coming saturday, I will be offering a yin yoga session for 4 asperger children. I will keep you posted if there is any new insights, which may be of benefits.

All the best to you and your daughter,

Love,
Siska
JackTangles wrote:I'm not sure if there's any validity to this but my second born has autism and i find that doing yin yoga is one of the few times in the day where she can calm down and not be totally distracted by the sounds and lights around her. just thought i'd share! anyone else have a similar experience?
YinH

Post by YinH »

I'm an adult on the Autism Spectrum and I find Yin Yoga to be an exceptionally helpful practice. I'm not sure exactly why this would be, but there seems to be something about the presence of certain kinds of prolonged and consistent sensations that can be calming, and Yin Yoga can certainly provide these.