yin yoga and yin deficiency

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
ivance

yin yoga and yin deficiency

Post by ivance »

I was recommended to try yin yoga from an acupuncturist, due to some issues I have stemming from what may be underlying yin deficiency. This is mostly heat/tingles coming out of my hands and soles (five palms heat). I checked out the Asanas on the pages here and am very impressed by the content and quality of information. Having done more Yang style yoga in the past, it was interesting to 'slow down' into the poses and just relax. My question: have any of you experienced or encountered warm/tingly palms and soles before? Do you think the exercises might help? According to the acupuncturist, the issue lies in the liver/spleen and kidney functions, and I noted that several of the poses indicated helpfulness in this regard. Thank you for any advice.
admin
Site Admin

Warm tingling in the hands

Post by admin »

I personally have not had such an experience, but if your acupuncturist suggests strengthening the Spleen, Liver and Kidney channels, there are a few poses that may help. All three of these lines are yin: they begin in the toes and run along the inside of the leg and the Liver and Kidney lines flow through the inner thigh, while the Spleen moves along the top of the thigh. Postures like Butterfly, Straddle and Frog can stimulate these inner leg areas, while Saddle and Dragon can stimulate the top of the thigh. You may want to try these and see what happens! [A nice flow might be Butterfly, Straddle, Sphinx, Saddle and Dragon, finishing with Reclining Twists and Shavasana.)

If you are brand new to Yin Yoga, hold the postures for a shorter time at first: 3 minutes or so. Over a few weeks, extend to 5 minutes. Notice the effects, both while in the poses, right after coming out and in the next two days. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
Bernie