Sore after 2 Hr Yin Is this common?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
zoesimone

Sore after 2 Hr Yin Is this common?

Post by zoesimone »

Hi! I am new to yin yoga as today was only my second time. The first time I went last week I didn't experience any soreness or tenderness however today I did. I had a private lesson with the instructor immediately following class where she did some Thai stretching and release and we did more poses for about 45 minutes.

I felt great leaving class but as the day went on I started to feel stiff and slightly sore (not extreme or shooting pain). I would like to know if this is ok or if there is something I am doing wrong. I have had issues with my IT Band so my knee is definitely very sore after today's class...

:(
Bernie

Pain after class

Post by Bernie »

I am sorry to hear about your soreness. Hopefully, by now - two days later - you are back to normal. It is impossible to diagnose why you felt pain over the internet, but it is great that you are looking for something to correlate to the pain: that is the only way we can learn what works and what doesn't. You pay attention.

The best approach is to talk to your teacher and tell her your experience. It may be related to how she worked you in the Thai massage, it may be related to the postures in your Yin class, or it may be related to something completely different. You would need to tell her much more about yourself, your daily activities, level of stress, etc. Please remember though, she is not a doctor, and if the pain persists, seek advice from a health care professional.

You talk about a predisposition to issues with your IT band: mention that to your teacher too, and review with her any poses you may have done that target that area. Maybe you held too long or went past your edge there. Generally, when we have an injury or a predisposition to an injury, our edge is not as deep as it may be for other areas of our body. You still want to work that area, just not as deeply or for as long.

Anyway, its good to find out the cause, but start with talking with your teacher. It is not normal nor acceptable to have pain after a yoga class or a thai massage.

Good luck
Bernie