Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kyphosis and Butterfly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and other body parts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry with a K

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Kyphosis and Butterfly Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,

I have an older practitioner who has pretty bad kyphosis. I want to include butterfly in this weeks sequence with the intention of stressing the spine. I'm thinking I will just put her in supine butterfly (or wall), but I stop myself, saying but that will just target her hips, when I'm looking to stress the spine. Is it recommended that this student practice butterfly in a sitting position even with this kyphosis? Is there a benefit to stressing her spine this way even thought it is already way curved in the thoracic? What about the cervical spine too? She has her head forward of her torso when walking.

Thanks in advance,
Kerry with a K
Bernie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry

I do believe there is some benefit to flexion stress to a kyphotic spine, if only to take it past its normal, everyday limit so that it doesn't lose the ability to flex. Out of a fear of doing too much, many teachers and therapist prevent students and patients from do any flexion, which will guarantee that the spine will become weaker.

However, despite all that, the main movement for someone with hyperkyphosis should be extension: in this case I would spend more time focussing on creating extension for the thoracic spine. One of the best poses for that is Anahatasana, if it is available to this student. You may have to do some easy modifications, like resting the chest on a bolster. Reclining Butterfly over a bolster is another, perhaps more accessible way to do the same thing. Sphinx pose is yet another.

As always, make sure she is checking in with her doctor/health care provide as well!

Good luck
Bernie
Kerry with a K

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bernie. Your reply makes total sense to me. I continue to drink the Yin koolaid and love it.

Slowly yours,
Kerry with a K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and other body parts All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: