Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yin Yoga in calming autistic children?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackTangles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Yin Yoga in calming autistic children? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there's any validity to this but my second born has autism and i find that doing yin yoga is one of the few times in the day where she can calm down and not be totally distracted by the sounds and lights around her. just thought i'd share! anyone else have a similar experience?
siska

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Yin Yoga in calming autistic children? Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

There is a ten year old asperger child in my yin yoga class. He has been regularly attending the session (with other adults) for the past 6 months or so. He told me that he likes the session because it allows him to chill and relax. His mother shared that the boy has since, moved to regular class in school, had much less tantrum breakdown, more able to handle hot weather and crowd.

While there are many references on yoga and autism, I could not find any reference that specifically explains how yin yoga works. But I suppose the slow pace and relaxation, also the things that we get to convey during the few minutes wait in each poses, allow them to absorb things and let them settle.

This coming saturday, I will be offering a yin yoga session for 4 asperger children. I will keep you posted if there is any new insights, which may be of benefits.

All the best to you and your daughter,

Love,
Siska

JackTangles wrote:
I'm not sure if there's any validity to this but my second born has autism and i find that doing yin yoga is one of the few times in the day where she can calm down and not be totally distracted by the sounds and lights around her. just thought i'd share! anyone else have a similar experience?
YinH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an adult on the Autism Spectrum and I find Yin Yoga to be an exceptionally helpful practice. I'm not sure exactly why this would be, but there seems to be something about the presence of certain kinds of prolonged and consistent sensations that can be calming, and Yin Yoga can certainly provide these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: