short sequence for limited time

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
mam5262

short sequence for limited time

Post by mam5262 »

Sometimes I don't have time for a full hour+ long yin practice and I was wondering if the following, shorter sequence would be okay:

Butterfly 3 min
1/2 butterfly 2-3 min each side
infant pose for as long as I can hold it-1-2 min I guess
Seal pose 3 min
rest in child's pose
Does this balance the forward/backward bending of the spine adequately?

Thanks!
Alexandar

Short sequence

Post by Alexandar »

mam5262,

Sorry for posting here but I have similar question for Bernie. I also have limited time so structuring my Yin sessions well is an important issue. I created 2 short sequences and i use 1st today, 2nd the day after and so on with 1 day per week off. Is following sequencing good considering my focus are Kidneys.

A
Butterfly, 5 min
Camel, 1 min
Recycling Twists, 3 min
Down Dog, 1 min
Straddle, 3 min
Knee to Chest, 3 min
Shavasana

B
Caterpillar, 5 min
Sphinx, 3 min
Child, 1 min
Dragon, 3 min
Down Dog, 1 min
Saddle, 3 min
Squat, 1 min
Shavasana

Thanx,
Aleksandar
Bernie

Short Yin Yoga sessions

Post by Bernie »

Good topic: what to do if you don't' have much time to do a full class? First, let me offer some flows specifically addressing this topic. Check out the "Yin Yoga Channel" on YouTube. Here you will find 30 minute flows that target the spine, legs and hips, plus a quickie: a 10 minute practice. There is always time for a Yin Yoga practice!

Now to the specific questions - first mam5262's question: Your flow seems perfectly fine to me. You don't always need to do a counterpose that last as long as the original posture. Your flow has more flexion than extension, and that is quite alright because you do have some extension after the flexion. The real key though is - how do you feel after the practice? Do you feel balanced? No pain? If you feel good, then it is working!

Re Aleksandar's flows: again, it all depends on how you feel and your own experience and abilities. For many people, going from Butterfly (flexion) to a very deep backbend in Camel would be way too much of a change of direction: I would recommend Sphinx or Seal before trying Camel. But! If you are a naturally very flexible person and find Camel super easy, this may work for you. I would not teach it this way in a general, all-levels class though. Personally, I like to reserve Reclining Twists for the end of the practice because twisting is such a nice way to restore the spine and nervous system back to a more neutral condition. However, ending with Knee to Chest could be a nice ending too.

For the B series: I would perhaps move the Saddle up earlier. Since you woke up the spine for extension in Sphinx pose, it is ready for the more challenging stress of Saddle; why not put them together, with a short Child's Pose in between?

Cheers
Bernie
Alexandar

Post by Alexandar »

Thanks, Bernie!