Yin kind of tissues

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Skyland2001

Yin kind of tissues

Post by Skyland2001 »

Hi bernie and everyone
It's interesting what tissues like lingual frenulum are counted as - yin or Yang? I hear them being mentioned as connective tissues. So are they yin tissues? Does the same rules apply in terms of lengthening, repair, ect. as to other deep tissues?

Cheers
Bernie

Yin tissue or yang tissue?

Post by Bernie »

Lingual frenulum? That stringy bit at the bottom of the tongue that anchors it to the floor of the mouth? Is it yin or yang? I have never thought about it. But, whether something is yin or yang always depends upon its context. (There is a bit more of this discussed in YinSights and more recently in this article on What Are The Yin Tissues?.)

So, what in context would you like to examine the lingual frenulum? In terms of location, it is very superficial, so that would make it yang. In terms of stretchiness (compliance/stiffness), I suppose it is stiffer than most tissues as it is an anchor, so it would be yin. Like with all things, you can ascribe yin or yang characteristics to anything. It always comes down to your intention and the context you choose.

How best to heal a lingual frenulum? I don't know — I would guess that you would leave it alone and let time work its magic :wink: I am not a doctor, but I would be minded to shut up and not talk for a few days to let it rest. Drinking would seem okay, but a lot of chewing might not be great. As always, some mobility is good, but don't over do it. Of course, if you really have a torn lingual frenulum, go see your health care team!
Skyland2001

Re: Yin kind of tissues

Post by Skyland2001 »

Hi Bernie
It's interesting subject isn't it? I read the articles and it clicked for me. My lingual frenulum is okay. Thank you for your answer.
Cheers