Floating knees in Saddle

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Amy

Floating knees in Saddle

Post by Amy »

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about floating knees in Saddle pose? I have read different opinions online. As I rest back on my elbows and onto a bolster, my knees lift. I feel perfectly safe and comfortable and get a great benefit from the pose, slowly releasing into it, but I would be very interested in your views. Thank you
Bernie

Re: Floating knees in Saddle

Post by Bernie »

Sure! Let them float! I never insist that students must have their knees on the floor.

Let's get back to functional basics: what is the intention of the pose? The targeted areas include the top of the thighs (quads), lower back (sacral lumbar area), hip flexors and maybe even upper chest. If you are already feeling it in these targeted areas, there is no need to change the pose. However, if you feel nothing, maybe you can experiment with sandbags on the thighs to weigh them down, as long as there is no pain anywhere.

Every body is different. Some students prefer knees on the floor; other students prefer to float their knees. What are you feeling? If you are getting the desired sensations, stay. If not, experiment.

Cheers
Bernie
Amy

Re: Floating knees in Saddle

Post by Amy »

Thanks Bernie! I've never questioned it before, but I happened upon an online description that said to return to the point in the pose you can keep your knees on the floor. Knew this would be the place to come for clarification.
All the best, Amy