Same sequence for 4 or more weeks?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
DunjaRonsberger

Same sequence for 4 or more weeks?

Post by DunjaRonsberger »

Hello everyone,

I just recently started teaching Yin after my training in November. From teaching Vinyasa and Gentle Flow I am used to changing my sequence every week or every other week but it always really stresses me out. With Yin I would like to try to do the same flow for maybe 4 weeks before changing it. What do you guys think about that? How do you do it in your classes? I know Bernie said he teaches the same flow for a while and focuses on different things every time like meridians, physical body, emotions etc. How can I explain the benefit of doing the same flow for a while to the students? (In case they get bored haha)

Thank you!
Greetings from Portland,OR
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Always is always wrong; never is never right! :-) Sure, change up your flows, if you like. Or keep them the same. It can all be good. Remember, Ashtanga yoga has the same sequence over and over. Same with Bikram yoga. Many people love the repetition. Others, not so much. If you are looking for inspirations for new flows, check out this thread on the forum, which has lots of flows offered. But, one more thing you can try is - ask your students for their feedback. Do they like similar flows each week (maybe they love it because they are learning how to dig a deeper well each time they come back to the same place) or would they prefer more variety? Which is better: breadth or depth? It's all good.

I too will be curious to hear other thoughts.

Cheers!
Bernie