Pose, Sequence and Pose Time Length for Practice

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
SamL

Pose, Sequence and Pose Time Length for Practice

Post by SamL »

Hi Bernie and All:
I have been doing yoga for about 6 weeks now. This came out of of a stressful job that required sitting alot. I initially created a sequence based on the following (I have some education in anatomy so I'll mention the muscles):
VeryTight: Rectus Abdominus, Rectus Femoris, Iliacus
Less Tight but Tight: Lower Back esp quadratus lumborum and erectors in lower back.
I have some swayback but its gotten a bit better. Pelvis a bit twisted. Things worse on right side.I do not have accentuated low back curve, if anything its flatter in lower back even down to my butt.
Of all this I'd say that addressing the very tight muscles above will open my practice . Those muscles are being caused by a combination of things so just doing something for the rectus abdominus lets say, won't really resolve it. In fact it will probably make it worse.
My intuition is lengthen the lower back and work transverse abdominus and iliacus first but esp iliacus? Guess thats why I am here. Need some beginner guidance. The rectus ab can be gnarly.
Thank you very much. really love this site
Sam
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Sam...welcome to the yin-side. Your areas of tightness, as you describe them, seem to be in the sagittal plane--restricting flexion and extension movements. So, it may be a good idea to work those directions. Most flows for the spine should help.

90 minute flow for the spine--written
90 minute flow for the spine--video
60 minute flow for the spine--video
30 minute flow for the spine--video

Basically, the idea is to work with flexion postures like Butterfly, Dangling, Caterpillar and extension poses like Sphinx, Seal, Saddle.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Bernie
Athena of Detroit

Bernie's videos on GAIA

Post by Athena of Detroit »

Hi Bernie,

I subscribe to GAIA and have practiced with all of your yin yoga videos regularly for the past year both for myself and in antipation of teaching yin yoga. (I have taught hatha yoga in the Iyengar tradition for 25 years.) I will start teaching my first yin classes next week!

I notice that you don't teach bananasanana, frog or tadpole, deer and a couple of other asanas listed on the web site in the videos. Why is that? I have assumed, rightly or wrongly, that you consider the posse too difficulty or risky to teach via video. Is that true? Most of the videos on GAIA involve the same poses. I'm just curious why this is so. Do you have any plans on doing more classes on GAIA?

Thanks! And thank you for this web site. It has been a great source of guidanceand inspiration for me in exploring yin yoga. I like it that you are both esoteric and scientific in your outlook.
Rebecca of the Abbey
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Athena

I am glad you are enjoying GAIA! I made those videos for them many years ago, when the company creating the videos was actually MyYogaOnline, based in Vancouver. GAIA bought MYO and moved them to Boulder and since then they have not asked me to record any new videos. So, that is why there is nothing new from me there. I am/was willing but they never asked.

Yoga International did! They asked me to create a mini-Intro to Yin Yoga course (8 ~ 1 hour classes) which we recorded a few months ago. I am not sure when they will be out but hopefully in the next few months. In these classes I do include Bananasana (one of my favourites!) and Tadpole and Frog. I am not sure why the earlier Gaia videos don't have them...no reason really. They are all good!

If you subscribe to my Newsletters you will hear when Yoga International's videos are available.

Cheers
Bernie