Is this the right feeling?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
christodoulou_george

Is this the right feeling?

Post by christodoulou_george »

Hello,

I am practicing Yin Yoga for some time now, and after a small correction from Bernie (thank you!) I believe I practice now correctly.

So basicaly I go to the appropriate edge, not too much, not too little, in the middle and I do not do postures that I feel that I cannot relax.

Having finishing the practice (for the upper part of the body) I feel:

- My body more open and more soft
- Some feelings of vulnurability as a whole
- The vulnurability that I feel is kind of strange
- The areas that are/were blocked in my spine (between shoulderblades and lumber area) more mobile. I have some sensation of space there.

All the above are correct sensations, or I must change something in the practice?

Thank you in advance

George, Athens, Greece
Bernie

What should I feel in Yin Yoga?

Post by Bernie »

Hi George

The sensations you describe are normal and to be expected: a sense of fragility or vulnerability after the pose or practice. This is logical, if you think about it: we have stressed our joints and other deep connective tissues to a deep edge and we have literally pulled ourselves apart. We have not engaged the muscles that normally prevent us from going this deep. So we are fragile right now. This is why shavasana is so important: it is time to regain our neutrality.

Even after a deep Yin Yoga practice these feelings may linger, but they should disperse after a couple of hours. If you find you still feel fragile the next day, you may want to modify your practice and back off. Don't go so deep. Time is more important than sensation: keep coming back to the Goldilocks' position where the sensation is not too much, nor too little.

Cheers
Bernie
christodoulou_george

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Post by christodoulou_george »

Hi Bernie,

Your reply is absolutely clear!

Thank you very much

George