sensation of itchiness

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
yasi_8991@yahoo.com

sensation of itchiness

Post by yasi_8991@yahoo.com »

Hi Bernie

Recently, during one of my Yin Yoga classes, a student experienced an unusual sensation of intense itchiness, particularly after the Sphinx pose. She even wondered if it might be related to allergies. Intriguingly, I have also encountered a similar sensation during my meditation practice, where it felt like thousands of bees on my skin.

I am reaching out to seek your insights into whether this itchiness phenomenon is a common occurrence in Yin Yoga or meditation. Could it be linked to energy movement, sensory awareness, or any other factors associated with these practices?
Bernie

Re: sensation of itchiness

Post by Bernie »

Hello Yael

There are many possible causes of itchiness, so let’s start by removing a few from consideration. Firstly, clothing can cause itchiness, but that is not likely the case here as your student would be itchy all the time, not just while doing yoga. Allergies could also be a cause. Many people may be allergic to the yoga mat, blocks, cleaning agents, fragrances, etc., but again, any environmental causes would affect her regardless of the practice or postures. It is not unknown for exercise to cause itchiness as well, especially sweaty practices that leave salt on the skin after the sweat evaporates. Also, physical exertion can lead to releases of histamines, which can cause itchiness. Again, we can rule these out as yin is not a hot practice.

So, what are we left with? It is possible that relaxation and enhanced awareness can create itchiness. Firstly, by becoming aware of minor sensations we can inadvertently magnify them. For example, if I am aware of a slight sensation in my big toe, I may focus on it, which makes the sensation more obvious. Continued awareness may start to magnify the sensation even though there is nothing physically the matter. Hypervigiliance can turn mundane sensations into annoyingly powerful ones.

Stress can also play a role. One study found that “Stress is known to be an important aggravating factor in itch, but the precise mechanism by which brain activation results in stress-induced pruritus remains elusive.” (Pruritis means itchiness. See Kim HJ, Park JB, Lee JH, Kim IH. How stress triggers itch: a preliminary study of the mechanism of stress-induced pruritus using fMRI. Int J Dermatol. 2016 Apr;55(4):434-42. doi: 10.1111/ijd.12864. Epub 2015 Aug 14. PMID: 26276021.)

You asked if this was common. I would say no, but it is not unheard of. For your student, I would be curious to know where the itch was during Sphinx: was it in the targeted areas or somewhere else? Does she ever get this at other times? And, then, if it is a distraction, invite her to focus her awareness somewhere else, like the breath or a different targeted area.

I have written an article on makyo, the strange sensations and even hallucinations that can arise during meditation and yoga practice. You may find it interesting to review as well.

Cheers
Bernie
yasi_8991@yahoo.com

Post by yasi_8991@yahoo.com »

Thank you for rhe prompt response and insight
In the specific case I mentioned, the student experienced itchiness throughout her whole body in sphinx pose, with a focus on the left side. Interestingly, the most intense sensation occurred in soul of left foot specifically under her big toe.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Interesting. Did she report any other times when this happens? I wonder if she has synesthesia. Can she smell words? Do numbers have colours?