do clothing layers effect yin stress?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
kumarisky

do clothing layers effect yin stress?

Post by kumarisky »

Hi Bernie,
I had a great question yesterday in my class that I don't know the absolute answer to-...she asked if the room is too cold for her (I usually keep it around 70-75 degrees) and she puts on socks and a sweatshirt, is that warming her up internally and taking away the amount of stress her yin tissues are receiving? Her intention for doing yin is stressing her yin tissues.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your reply!
Kumari :D
Bernie

Re: do clothing layers effect yin stress?

Post by Bernie »

Hi Kumari

I don't believe anyone has ever studied this question so I can only speculate, but I strongly believe that the amount of clothing worn will have very little effect on the practice. (Maybe if you are wearing stiff blue jeans, they will prevent you from getting to your edge.) I think you would have to warm up your internal tissues quite a lot before it impacted where the stress goes. It is far better to have students comfortable than cold, because if they are uncomfortable, they may not come back to the practice. But being 70 or 80 degrees in the room won't have a big effect. 105 degrees will, so you don't want your student wrapped in so many layers that she starts sweating :wink:

Cheers
Bernie
kumarisky

Re: do clothing layers effect yin stress?

Post by kumarisky »

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Bernie!