Need to understand why sphibx is contraindicated in migraine

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Annelise Piers

Need to understand why sphibx is contraindicated in migraine

Post by Annelise Piers »

Dear Bernie,

Would you shed some more light on why sphinx is contraindicated in migraines. The crocodile is good for blood pressure so I thought this restful pose with head in hands would be good for issues of the head. Moreover, since the gallbladder meridian goes through the head I reckoned it would be good??

Thanks

Annelise
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

It depends upon the individual. I have received many reports that Sphinx (but not Cobra) causes some students headaches. I speculate that the deep extension of the neck in some people may compress their vertebral arteries, reducing blood flow to the brain. Or maybe there is more tension created on the vagus nerve. But, if it feels okay for you, then feel free to do it. Remember, data trumps theory!

Cheers
Bernie
Annelise Piers

Post by Annelise Piers »

As always, much gratitude, Bernie