Vagus Nerve

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
NursewitchieUK

Vagus Nerve

Post by NursewitchieUK »

Have been studying the vagus nerve for both my yin practice and some work I am doing in my ‘day job' as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner trying to reduce opioid use in chronic pain management. I know that breathing, particularly coherent and brahmari breathing are good for vagal tone and already teach them in my classes, now am thinking about putting together a short yin programme for chronic pain sufferers to help stimulate vagal tone, ease pain and start to reduce opioid use. Any suggestions or signposts to resources would be most welcome. Stay safe everyone, we're in this together
Shine on
Bernie

The Vagus nerve and Yin Yoga

Post by Bernie »

There are a few older threads that mention the vagus nerve and some uncomfortable sensations while in yoga postures. You may find these of some interest: here and here. Also, this article discusses a bit about how our breath during practice can affect the vagus nerve.

You probably already know of the pioneering work of Stephen Porges in this area, but for anyone else who has not heard of him, here is a link to his research on his website www.stephenporges.com/. Really worth reading for anyone wanting to learn about the vagus nerve. Finally, to learn how to "hack" your vagus nerve (which in this context means to increase health) read 6 Ways to Hack your Vagus Nerve .

Good luck!
Bernie
NursewitchieUK

Vagus Nerve

Post by NursewitchieUK »

Thanks Bernie
Shine on