Are there specific Sanskrit names for wall yin poses?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
girlfridayyogi

Are there specific Sanskrit names for wall yin poses?

Post by girlfridayyogi »

I am finishing my YTT 200 and am practicing Sanskrit names for asana. I have had a difficult time specifying them online. In The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga pg 171 lists some lovely sequencing but there is not a sanskrit reference I am seeing...any resources are welcomed. Thank you. Also there is not a time limit this is for my own curiosity and growth. :lol:
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Nope, sorry -- no Sanskrit for these. You can possibly make some stuff up if your Sanskrit is strong. For a long time anything that had the body inverted, like legs up the wall or shoulder stand, was called vipariti karani. You can call all these yin poses vipariti karani if you like, or add something in front of it, like Caterpillar could be called "paschimottanasana vipariti karani" but don't expect to find that in an ancient text somewhere. Cheers, Bernie
girlfridayyogi

THANK YOU!!

Post by girlfridayyogi »

Thank you for your time! 8)
dave

Post by dave »

Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Cool, thanks Dave!