Reset button

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Renee

Reset button

Post by Renee »

Hi Bernie,

Can you elaborate on the effect of the 'pushing the reset button'.

For me it feels, almost dangerous to do, It is such a spot on the body, not to push. Why is that feeling, and is it a common feeling.
But I am curious enough to try and do it. After release I can still feel the pressur of my thumb for minutes.

And the technique of 'uddiyana banda'and 'agni sara' can be also called
'nauli kriya'?
Thank you again for your time and energy:)
Have a happy holiday season with each other.
Namaste,
Renée
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Renee

If it feels dangerous for you to "press the reset button" then please do not do it! Listen to your inner wisdom.

I learned this from my Thai Yoga Therapy teacher, but he did not go into a great or any detail on why this was healthy, other than to call it, "pressing the reset button". I do know from other TCM suggestions that this can stimulate chi flow to the organs but as with everything, you can over do it. It sounds cool, and if you want to see if it works for you, go slowly and not very deep at first. See what happens over the next day or so, and decide whether to continue or not.

Regarding the Yogic techniques of agni sara et al: they can also be very effective at curing and regaining abdominal organ health, as long as they are not overdone. (Nauli by the way, is not the same as agni sara: agni sara is the movement of the stomach in and out, while nauli moves the stomach side to side. You can see examples here and here.)

Please do note the contra-indications for all these practices!
  • Avoid agni sara (as well as pressing the reset button or nauli) if you have a hiatal hernia, are menstruating or pregnant, as well as if you have ulcers, cardiovascular disease, or high blood pressure. This exercise can be irritating to women with IUDs. Practice on an empty stomach. Generally this means waiting three hours following a normal meal.
I hope this helps a little bit.
Cheers
Bernie
Renee

Post by Renee »

Thank you Bernie for your quick response.
I will be careful and see what it will bring.
Namaste.
Renée