Functional Yoga

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Shiva

Functional Yoga

Post by Shiva »

Bernie, is the piece you wrote on Functional Yoga http://www.yinyoga.com/newsletter17_suzee_cues.php included in The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga? I didn't see it in the index. If not, I'd strongly encourage you to include it in the next edition. The information is key for new students, and the table is immensely useful in planning a sequence.

This was one of the most important essays I've read which reassured me that I would be ok if I discontinue yoga classes and rely on self teaching and individual practice. One of the questions I had was, if I only practice yoga at home, how would I know if I'm doing it wrong? The answer is pain. If I don't feel pain, it's not important if I'm not, in anyone's opinion, "perfectly aligned," as long as I feel a good stress. I know I'm not going to look like anyone in a yoga photo. I just started a couple of weeks ago.

It was also reassuring to understand that it's ok to modify a pose for my own comfort because of the differences in individual musculoskeletal structures. As an example, I'd always felt unbalanced in Mountain Pose when I stood with feet touching, as is instructed by some teachers. It felt like I was going to tip over. It feels more natural and secure to me to have my feet hip distance apart.

Functional Yoga is an important concept, especially for those who are just starting. Thanks for writing it!
Bernie

Functional Yoga

Post by Bernie »

Hi Shiva

Thanks for your post. I am in the midst of writing a new book (series of books actually) that will highlight this topic of functional yoga and human variation. It will be called - Your Body: Your Yoga.

You are the one who needs to ensure that whatever form of yoga, exercise, medicine, etc works for you. But this does not diminish the value of a teacher. Teachers, doctors, et al can see things you may not be able to perceive, can encourage you to go further than your limiting self-beliefs may acknowledge, and may have knowledge that you don't yet possess. As part of your consulting team, they can be invaluable. I would encourage you to both have a strong home practice, but also a teacher that you can check in with from time to time to get some outside feedback.

[You may find this article of interest as well.]

cheers
Bernie
Shiva

Post by Shiva »

I'm discontinuing the class for now because I've been struggling with mobility issues for the last two years, and it's very uncomfortable some days just getting there. I'll pick up the class again when walking gets easier.