Yin with Muscle Spasticity

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
ncutler

Yin with Muscle Spasticity

Post by ncutler »

Hey there,

I've been doing some Yin Yoga Teacher Training and my body loves Yin, but after having my physiotherapist comment on my question around Spasticity, I thought I would ask it here.

I have Left Hemi Spastic Cerebral Palsy. I have been observing my level of spasticity day to day which will increase and decrease based on the day. I pondered based on the theory of yin that I may not be able to reach the tissues to stretch if there is spasticity in the muscles. I thought perhaps I may need to adjust my yoga practise based on my spasticity (Yang during high spasticity days, yin during low spasticity days).

But the spasticity never goes away completely.

My question is:
-If the muscle has high tone (spastic) then is there any benefit for yin yoga? To truly find a way to make my left side's muscles passive is very very challenging. From my own experience, it feels like some fascia are being stretched, but I can't actually tell if there is any stretch to the ligaments,tendons, etc.

Thank you!
ncutler

Vibration with Yin

Post by ncutler »

I have a followup question that I'm also having a difficult time finding info on.

My Spasticity Doctor recommended I try using vibration to help relax my muscles since in Spasticity, there is decreased sensory information (so the muscle remains tight) by adding vibration, it floods the sensory system and the proprioception kicks in and my muscles both relax and develop increased fine motor skills.

I did notice that my muscles had a much easier time relaxing, but didn't know what effects the vibration itself would have on the tissues, fascia, etc.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this would act negatively on anything?
Bernie

Yin Yoga for Spacicity?

Post by Bernie »

I applaud you for taking your search for health into your own hands. There are many doctors and therapists who can assist you, but you are the one who needs to drive the bus and find out what works for you. I hope you are successful in your search. Unfortunately, I am neither a doctor nor a therapist, so all I can offer are some ideas and suggestion for you try and evaluate, keep or discard as you see fit.

First, let’s define our terms for those not familiar with spacicity: Spacicity has been defined as “a muscle control disorder that is characterized by tight or stiff muscles and an inability to control those muscles. In addition, reflexes may persist for too long and may be too strong (hyperactive reflexes).” Causes can include “an imbalance of signals from the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) to the muscles. This imbalance is often found in people with cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, stroke,multiple sclerosis, and spinal cord injury.” There are many approaches offered to people suffering from spacicity, including botulinum-toxin injections and intrathecal baclofen, but these are invasive for patients and can have undesirable side-effects. Occupational and physical therapyprograms, involving muscle stretching and range of motion exercises, and sometimes the use of braces, may help prevent tendon shortening. Rehabilitation also may help to reduce or stabilize the severity of symptoms and to improve functional performance.

Your first question is whether Yin Yoga has any benefit to you, and to answer that we have to first ask you - what is your intention in doing yoga in the first place? While it seems natural that you may be coming to yoga (and Yin Yoga) to obtain physical relief and health, this is just one modality. Yoga can provide benefits far beyond the body alone: you can learn how to deal with the stress of living, with the stress of disability, with the stress of changes in life that come inevitably with aging, etc. Yoga can help with enhancing energy flow, the immune system response, with epigenetic changes at a cellular level. Yoga can help open your heart and soften the hardest edges in the mind. There are many benefits you can receive from a Yin Yoga practice even if the practice did nothing at all to reduce your spacicity. However, I suspect, even there, Yin Yoga may be helpful.

Yin Yoga is generally assumed to target the connective tissues, but it is impossible to only stress our fascia without also stimulating and stressing our muscles too. Even though your muscles may be chronically tight, the stress of Yin Yoga postures will seep into the fascia around and through the muscles, including the tendons and ligaments. Indeed, Yin Yoga is often more effective physiologically when the muscles are tighter than when looser. (To understand this, read this section of YinSights and these posts in the Forum.) So, I would suspect that Yin Yoga will be even more effective for you than for less spastic people.

There is a recent study that suggests spacicity is not just caused by nervous system interaction with the muscles (the stretch reflexes or muscles tone) but the peripheral tissues, such as muscle fibers and connective tissue are also directly involved. The following quotation may prove useful to you:

• There is a "complex interactions between muscle cells and the extracellular matrix that affect the contractile properties of skeletal muscle fibers relevant to changes that occur with spasticity. Lieber et al. [23] showed that spastic muscle bundles are stiffer than isolated single spastic fibers; only about 40 % of spastic muscle bundles were occupied by muscle fibers in contrast to 95 % in normal muscle bundles, suggesting increased intramuscular connective tissue deposition in spastic muscle bundles. Three different mechanisms have been proposed to explain the ‘increased resistance to stretch’ or intrinsic muscle stiffness [9]: (1) active muscle stiffness where increased stiffness is caused by an increase in the number of cross-bridges attached during muscle contraction; (2) neurally mediated reflex stiffness caused by descending influences on the monosynaptic reflex between muscle spindle afferents and the alpha motor neurons; (3) passive muscle stiffness caused by fibrosis within the muscle tissue or a change in the properties of the muscle fibers."

So, we see it is not just neurological: spacicity may be caused by changes in the connective tissue within and around the muscle fibers and thus Yin Yoga may prove very beneficial for you. I would encourage you to try it with a good yoga teacher who can guide you in paying attention to what you are feeling as you proceed, and won’t let you go too far too fast.

As for your second post where you ask whether vibration could be good or bad for you: I would suggest you review this study which describes one very good outcome from using vibration. But, as always, you have to check these things out for yourself. You are unique and what works for you may be likewise quite unique.

Good luck!
Bernie