Yoga class questions

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Bernie

Yoga class questions

Post by Bernie »

I was recently asked the following questions:

Hi Bernie,
  • I was wondering how important it is that a yoga instructor corrects students in her(his) class? Is it a deal breaker? Are there ever classes that have 2 instructors? So one teaches and the other one just walks around and corrects people? That would be a perfect scenario, I guess. Also what would you say is the ideal yoga class size? Maybe once you are experienced it does not matter that much (class size and teacher’s attention) but I am a total beginner. Is it possible to get bad yoga habits? What are the most common ones? I attend yoga classes at my gym (they are included in the membership) but the teacher does not correct anyone. I could be doing anything (LOL). I appreciate your input. Thank you. Alina
Hi Alina

Yes, sometimes yoga classes will have a second teacher or assistant helping with adjusting or correcting students. Usually this is for large classes or class styles that require a lot of adjustments (Ashtanga for example.) However, it is not required that teachers “correct” students. I never do it (I used to, but had to really ask myself why I wanted to “correct a student”) … over time I decided it was better to teach students how to correct themselves and allow the student to make the decision of what to change. It really comes down to intention: what is the intention of the posture? Then we add attention: how is the student feeling in that posture? By paying attention we can decide whether we are achieving our intention or not. If not, then some sort of change, correction or adjustment may be require.

(By the way, I don’t like the term “correction” because it has an implication that the student is somehow flawed, or doing the pose incorrectly. There is an inherent value judgment which is not necessary. Better to evaluate whether or not the goal of the pose is being achieved or not, and if not, find an alignment or change in the posture to achieve the intention.)

In short, I do not feel that students need correcting. However, this does not mean that the student is getting the optimal benefit from the posture. Some investigation is always helpful. For beginners to yoga, they do require some direction in how to get into and out of postures and what the approximate alignment might be, but as soon as possible the student should be taught how to find out for herself what alignment works for her body and her situation. There is no alignment cues that work for everybody: this is the basis of my latest book Your Body, Your Yoga.

Think of this old saying, “If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day; if you teach a man to fish, he can eat for a lifetime.” I believe the best teachers teach the students how to “correct” themselves.

Regarding ideal class size: there isn’t one. It is so variable: it depends upon the style of class (restorative yoga classes need to be small), the intention of the class, the level of experience of the students and the teacher, etc. A better question is - what is the ideal class size for you? That depends upon your intention and needs.

Cheers
Bernie
New22

Supervision in yoga classes

Post by New22 »

Wonderful! Thank you so much Bernie.
When I said “correction” I did mean what you had said so much better than I did: “Better to evaluate whether or not the goal of the pose is being achieved or not, and if not, find an alignment or change in the posture to achieve the intention” That is exactly what I meant!
Correct me if I am wrong but what you are saying is that “Your Body Your Yoga” would enable me to “correct” myself? So as I do asanas I would be able to decide for myself if the way I do particular asana is going to do for me what it is intended to do?
I am going to buy your book no matter what because it looks like a great book. What I was wondering though is if in addition to your book, I should take introductory lessons for beginners offered at my local yoga studios as well. Or would you say that once I read your book I do not need these lessons and I can just participate in regular (unsupervised) classes and be confident that my asanas achieve what they are supposed to achieve?
One yoga studio has 4 classes course (once a week) and the other one has 6 classes. All 1 hour classes I believe. I understand that taking lessons would not hurt me but unfortunately there is a bit of a cost to them. They are CAN $140 and $90 respectively ( the shorter one is actually more expensive). Maybe the cheaper one? I do not want to spend money if I do not have to but sometimes it is a necessary evil (LOL). What do you think?
Thank you in advance.
Bernie

How to start

Post by Bernie »

Your Body, Your Yoga is not a “how to” instruction manual, and if you are a beginner you won’t learn how to start your yoga practice with that book. The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga would be better, but for beginning a Yin Yoga practice, I would suggest that you do go to a studio and take a few introductory classes, just to learn some of the basics: the names of the postures, their shapes, how to work with the breath, how to pay attention. With that as a grounding, you can start to add some practice at home via videos or online classes (you can check out some of my videos as well.) I can’t advise you which studio to go to or which course would be better, so check them out: talk to the studios and the teachers or other students. $90 for 6 classes does sound better, but maybe you get what you pay for?

Good luck!
Bernie