Anatomy literature suggestions

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
ugadawgrx

Anatomy literature suggestions

Post by ugadawgrx »

Bernie or anyone else, I am looking for your suggestions on good anatomy resources. I was previously a pharmacist and even in my teacher training (centered more around ashtanga), I've found I still haven't gotten great information on anatomy. I am looking for books or resources that you recommend for a more in depth understanding of anatomy, especially any that would be more targeted for yoga as well. Thank you
Bernie

Anatomy

Post by Bernie »

There is a plethora of information out there. Where do you want to begin? Human variation, the role of fascia, bones, muscles, etc?

For a look at how the bones and their variations affect our practice, check out Paul Grilley's DVD Anatomy for Hatha Yoga. It is a must have for all yoga teachers. For basic anatomy knowledge, pick up a good reference book like Thieme Atlas of Anatomy. Blandine Calais-Germaine's book, Anatomy of Movement is also excellent. For fascia related learning, you can start with Thomas Myers' Anatomy Trains. Check out Gil Hedley's work too ... fascinating. Oh yes, Leslie Kaminoff's book is great: Yoga Anatomy.

I am in the middle of writing an anatomy text for yoga students as well, to be called Your Body - Your Yoga, but that is a little ways off into the future, however.

Good luck!
ugadawgrx

Post by ugadawgrx »

Bernie, thank you so much! This gives me good places to start. Despite an 8 month teacher training, I felt like anatomy was skimmed over and the books we used didn't go into much depth, especially how the anatomy related to yoga practice and adjustments. It seems like I've got lots of reading to do! Thank you.
dave

Post by dave »

I have found this website http://www.dailybandha.com/ very helpful for myself. It is yoga combined with anatomy. Go to the right hand side and look at all the post archives. Below that they have books.
maribdias

Post by maribdias »

Thank you everyone! I've been studying on my own anatomy to improve my performance in yoga. It is important to be mindful about each muscle, tissue, bones during the practice. Namaste!