left nostril breathing outside of pranayama

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
megusto

left nostril breathing outside of pranayama

Post by megusto »

would i gain any benefit from blocking my right nostril and breathing just through the left for a period of time during the day?
ive read that the left nostril stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and calms the brain/body.
i cant practice pranayama at the moment so im hoping that maybe i will get some benefit from this?
Bernie

Left nostril breathing

Post by Bernie »

It would be an interesting experiment: the theory is that breathing through the left nostril (the ida nadi=lunar, feminine, yin energy) will calm the sympathetic nervous system and activate the parasympathetic nervous system, but is it the reality for you? Try it and see: let us know how it goes.

But, as with all things, don't go overboard - there is a reason the body switches nostrils every 90 minutes or so. We don't want to go too far one direction or another. Try it, see what happens, but don't do it all the time. Leave the right side open sometimes too.

Cheers
Bernie