Dragon Splits Yin Yoga video

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
dave

Dragon Splits Yin Yoga video

Post by dave »

Hi Bernie,
I am trying to understand the Dragon Splits – Hanumanasana your video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vj_4CadkE4
I learned this pose as a ‘yang’ pose. Strong legs pushing into the hips. And the muscles in the torso, Mula Banda very active to protect the lower back. I sit right down on the floor for that one.

Are you teaching this pose in a different way for a ‘yin’ pose?
Bernie

Dragon Splits: the Yin side

Post by Bernie »

Yes, indeed. We are doing this pose in a yin-manner, which is why we call it Dragon Splits rather than Hanumanasana. In Hanumanasana, there is a lot of muscular engagement, which stretches and strengthens the muscles. The point of the yin postures is to relax the muscles so that the stress of the posture can soak into the deeper connective tissues: in this case into the ligaments, fascia and even the joint capsule. Care, of course, must be taken to ensure that you don't go too far. But, the point is to find your edge and relax. If you can't relax, you are too deep.

Cheers
Bernie
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks for the help Bernie,
The less deep Baby Dragon found the spot for me.
Don't worry, I won't get injured. I am a big chicken when it comes to pushing too far and yoga injuries. :D