How much is too much?

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
birdyroger

How much is too much?

Post by birdyroger »

I do not mean how much pressure or tension is too much. I do mean how much time in each pose is too much only in so far as I can't seem to deal with too much energy. I like to throw myself into things with gusto. I did the caterpillar for 15 minutes on like perhaps my 3rd day of doing it. I like doing various hand and arm stretches while I am watching the idiot panel. But my body can't seem to deal with so much energy. I miss sleep because of doing too much yin yoga. I am crazy about yin yoga, but am I doing something wrong or am I a damaged person?

I did 35 LSD trips in the late 1960's, and I fear that this burned out a few circuits. Please advise.
Yin Yoga fanatic
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Seek balance! You can do too much of anything: too much yang leads to degeneration. Too much yin leads to atrophy. How much is too much? No one can tell you because it depends upon your biology and your biography. However! It already sounds like you know the answer! Why would you do 15 minutes of Caterpillar? You are bringing a yang attitude (more, more, more) to a yin practice (less, less, less). Find the balance.

Have an intention (seek balance) and pay attention (when is this too much?) There are a few articles on how to play your edge such as this one and this one.

Good luck!
Bernie
birdyroger

Post by birdyroger »

I just finished the two articles that you suggested.

My "too much energy" issues causes me to lose sleep. Being retired means that I can sleep whenever I need to, but it is still a problem; last night I slept only 6.5 hours. I have also been know to get a tickling sensation at the base of my scrotum and to become rather horny. But since I started yin yoga, this doesn't seem to be such a problem.

I have re-included several yang practices to balance out the yin of my yin yoga, and I dropped my maximum time to 6 minutes. I am including my yang yoga practices that I was doing before I fell head-over-heals (misspelling pun intended) with yin yoga. All of this to balance the yin. I am also doing hardcore push-ups and pull-ups and air-squats and other conventional exercises.

I did tai chi for about 20 years but kind of let it slip away. But per your encouragement about anti-fragility (known to me as hormesis), I have decided to re-start it. What do you think of tai chi? I think that it is yin, but I would love to hear what you have to say.
Yin Yoga fanatic
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Tai chi is great, and so is chai tea. good luck with your new balanced approach! I hope it works out for you.

Bernie
birdyroger

Post by birdyroger »

Yin Yoga is working out for me. I haven't had the "leaky chakra" phenomena for a long time. Perhaps the "leaky chakra" phenomena was my misinterpretation of my being toooo yang.
Yin Yoga fanatic
PatriciaHarwick

Re: How much is too much?

Post by PatriciaHarwick »

Hi, I cannot relate to your question much, but I pray that you find the answer soon. Lots of positive energy to your way.