Can yin create an energetic imbalance or excess?

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
Peace

Can yin create an energetic imbalance or excess?

Post by Peace »

I have a question about the energy that gets distributed along the meridians during yin practice. Yesterday while doing a liver/ gallbladder practice, I could feel energy in my lungs, my throat and up through my left eye to my forehead. It was quite uncomfortable especially in my eye. I maintained the pose until the feeling subsided. I don't know if this is normal. My body craves yin poses and I feel happy afterwards. Is it possible to create an energetic imbalance or excess by doing yin asanas?
Peace

Post by Peace »

Just to clarify, when I say say I could feel energy, what I mean is that I felt a definite change. This was neagative and didn't last long. For example, in my lungs it was almost a wheezy feeling. It felt like there was a lump in my throat. My eye hurt and I got a headache. This was all just momentary, but this hadn't ever happened before. Thanks for any feedback.
jophee

Post by jophee »

Hi,

All the surface meridians in the body has connection with the internal meridians, so it is not abnormal that stimulating one meridian will stimulate the others.

An imbalance in the liver/gallbladder channel may cause twitching in the eyes since a branch of the liver channel goes up to the eye. Under the 5 element theory, Metal (lung) governs the Wood (liver). However, if the Wood is too strong (rebellious), it will weaken Metal, thus, perhaps the symptoms you are experiencing in your lung.

it is not abnormal at all that any energetic imbalances in our bodies manifest during the yin practice. Yin Yoga is a practice of deliberately stimulating the meridians through long held postures, just like in acupuncture. As long as any negative symptoms subside and don't linger for too long after the practice, I do not see any cause for worry. Also, most headaches and migraines are caused by imbalances in the Wood element. There are several pathways of the liver and gallbladder meridians that go up into the head.
Peace

Post by Peace »

Thank you so much for your very helpful response. You wrote that yin yoga stimulates the meridians. How do we know how much to stimulate them, if they need stimulating, or if we have over done it?