Acupressure Points

This is the place to discuss the energetic aspects of Yin Yoga and its Daoist heritage
jamie11

Acupressure Points

Post by jamie11 »

Hello all,

I would love to learn more about the acupressure points and holding them in our yin poses. Can anyone offer any advice/books to read up on?

Thanks!
Ckeenan

Acupressure reply

Post by Ckeenan »

Hello Jamie,

This is another great layer to the yin practice and because we have a lot of time to explore our bodies in our postures we can experiment with various acupressure points.

There are many points that are accessible to stimulate during a pose. Going over the points and their functions here would be too much but there is a book called Acuyoga http://www.amazon.ca/Acu-Yoga-Self-Help ... ds=Acuyoga that goes over yoga and acupressure points for certain health conditions. I would recommend if you are interested in further study.

As far as time to hold each point I think it depends on the therapeutic affect you are looking for. You will notice some points are more tender than others. Try holding for a minute and notice any changes in the way the point feels. Maybe hold a minute then come back again and hold a minute until you feel a release.

One little note; there are certain points to avoid and contraindicated in pregnancy. I'll mention them here for easy reference
Large Intestine 4
Spleen 6
Gallbladder 21
Bladder 60
Bladder 67
Too much stimulation on sacral foreman
And of course not stimulating points under navel

Hope this helps! Happy exploring!

Cathy
jamie11

Post by jamie11 »

This is wonderful. Thanks!