Prostate enlargement

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
paulallaire

Prostate enlargement

Post by paulallaire »

Hi Bernie,

Because of a prostate enlargement, I have damaged my bladder. I waited to long to have the operation. The good news, after having a transurethral resection my bladder is still funtioning but the unirary flow has been reduce. The doctor mentioned that he is confident that it will come back. Would you have any yoga poses that would help speed up the recover? What about bundas?

thanks
Paul
Bernie

Yoga for the prostate

Post by Bernie »

Hi Paul ... I am sorry to hear about the health challenges you have been experiencing. I trust your doctor is right and that your bladder will make a recovery. There are some postures that could be helpful.

Check any of the asana in Yin Yoga that work the Urinary Bladder, but also spend time on the Kidney meridians too. Remember, the Kidneys are the royal organs, and their health spills over to all the other organs. Plus the Kidneys have a more direct yin/yang relationship with the U.B.

Generally, backbends stimulate the kidneys, while forward bends stimulate the urinary bladder. See the flow in YinSights targeting this area: http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.2.6.4_flow_for_kidneys.php

Sarah Powers in her new book, Insights Yoga, has two other flows that you may want to try out. The first is a short flow: the second is much longer. Hold the postures for 3~5 minutes.
  • 1) Butterfly, Saddle, Sphinx or Seal, Child's Pose, Half Butterfly, Caterpillar, Shavasana

2) Butterfly, Saddle, Sphinx, Seal, Caterpillar, Straddle, Reclining Twist, Happy Baby, Legs up the wall, Shavasana
You may also want to read up on these two meridians more in YinSights:
http://www.yinyoga.com/ys1_3.2.5.1_lowe ... idians.php

Finally, as men age (and I can speak from personal experience here) our prostates do tend to get larger and that does wreck havoc on the plumbing. When this started getting more than a little annoying for me, I start doing a lot more JanuSirsanana B. This is similiar to the Yin Pose called Half Butterfly, only you position the heel right under the perineum. It can feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but even Mr Iyengar says this one can prevent enlargement of the prostate, as well as benefit the kidneys and liver. You can review this pose here:http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.0_asanas_h ... terfly.php

Regarding bandhas: the same suggestions I posted a few weeks ago when discussing prolapsed organs would apply here. You may want to review that too.

Good luck Paul. Let us know how it goes.
Bernie
paulallaire

Post by paulallaire »

Hi Bernie,

Thank you and I will keep you posted. I ordered Sharah's book last week.

Paul