Yin for Elbows

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Mickcope

Yin for Elbows

Post by Mickcope »

I wonder if anyone can suggest postures or practices that focus on the Elbow. I can't seem to find much. Not as a process to rectify any problems - more as a part of a yoga practice that focuses on that part of the body

cheers

Mick
Bernie

Targeting the elbow joint

Post by Bernie »

Hiya Mick

Hmmm...elbow? Not a normally targeted area because almost everyone goes to their ultimate range of motion there, unless they have had some trauma to the arm or elbow. Usually we are stopped by compression: in either extension (the olecranon of the ulna comes into contact with the olecranon fossa of the humerus...game over for extension) or in flexion (the coronoid process of the ulna hits the front of the humerus...again, game over for flexion. For body builders, their forearm may compress against their bulging biceps.)

I suppose for some, few people, there may be some tension stopping them from getting to bone on bone compression, but since the elbow can only flex and extend, then those would be the movements to practice. You can stress the elbow joint in extension in Seal pose in Yin Yoga, or in many arm postures in yang-styles, like side-plank, handstand, down dog, etc. There are very few ways in yoga to work to end range of motion for flexion, however.

Is there something more specific you are considering? Were you thinking of supination and pronation? Again, most people are stopped there by compression as well.

Cheers
Bernie
Mickcope

Post by Mickcope »

HI Bernie - that is fine - you have clarified my view.

I just noticed that there seemed to be little Elbow activity in the world of practice design. I didn't know if I had missed something. The usual suspects (great film) of Hips, Knees etc turn up in everything I read - but the Elbow always seemed to be missing.

Cheers

Mick