Edematous legs

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
May Li

Edematous legs

Post by May Li »

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I've just known about yin yoga, and it seems really interesting to me.
I have a problem with my legs, edema and inflammation in the lower part of them, and I can't find a solution. They look stuck, and it's a chronicle matter; no medical problem can be found.
Do you think yin yoga can help me?
I live at a small town, in Spain, and I cannot find an instructor around.
Thanks for your information.
With regards,
May Li
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hello May Li

i am sorry to hear about your edema problem. You ask whether Yin Yoga can help you and I must confess that I am not sure. Have you spoken to your doctor? Have you tried inversions, such as legs-up-the-wall poses?

As you have already been told, there are many possible causes of swelling in the legs: the Mayo Clinic describe kidney problems, circulatory problems, lymphatic issues, and many forms of inflammation--from gout to arthritis. Until you have a cause of your problem, it is hard to know what to recommend as a cure. For example, if it was a kidney issue, a Traditional Chinese Doctor may work the Kidney meridians (and there are Yin Yoga flows that do that such as this one. If it is the heart, maybe stimulating the upper body meridians would help.

On the other hand, maybe your doctor will simply tell you to reduce salt in your diet! What did your doctors say, what did they rule out and what did they suggest?

Cheers
Bernie
May Li

Edematous legs

Post by May Li »

I really thank you for your answer, Bernie.

Traditional doctors can't find any kidney, heart, gout or arthritic disease. Blood pressure is ok, I don't have to take any pill for collesterol or glucose...

The area is stuck and cold, that's the worst think.

It's this kind of problem that, not being really serious, can be inconvenient and bothersome. And I already have an age.

I recently have started to go to an ayurvedic doctor. He points to a lymphatic and peripheral circulation problem.

I now follow a diet, but I want to do something else. That's why I've thought about yin yoga to movilize the connective tissue and help the process.

Well, I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you very much.

With kind regards, May
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I am sorry that your doctors have been unable to help you. When one paradigm of medicine doesn't work, it is time to check out some others, which seems to be what you are doing. In that spirit, you may want to check out a simple practice called "earthing". I have written about it here. You can also read a scientific article discussing its benefits, including significant reductions in chronic inflammation here. Let us know if it helps!

Cheers
Bernie
May Li

Edematous legs

Post by May Li »

Again, thank you so much for your answer.

I'll try earthing and you'll know any change that can happen.

Cheers and kind regards.