sides of my hips

Check here for questions about Yin Yoga and hips. (Note: discussions about sciatica are in the Spine forum.)
010projects

sides of my hips

Post by 010projects »

Hi there.

I am relatively new to Yin Yoga. I have tried a few other types of yoga, but none seem to really give me what I am after, a deep stretching of my joints/tissues/muscles. I've been to a couple of classes and have watched a number of videos and I'm now practising each morning at home. I've taken up yoga as years of playing drums has meant that I am out of allignment in my hips and need to correct this. Standing up for long periods causes strain in my hips and lower back, and this is where the majority of my pain stems from. It obviously radiates to my shoulder blades and neck throughout the day, but I'm hoping over time that I can re-balance myself.

What I'm trying to find, is an appropriate assana to stretch the hips on the sides of my body. They seem to get sore really quickly, and are more noticeable sitting down now I've started practising. If I lean to either side, bending at the hips, I really notice how sore it is there.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Bernie

Yin for the hips

Post by Bernie »

There are several ways we can target the hip area, but first we need to understand what is meant by "hips." It is a very vague term and anatomists prefer to be more specific. Do you mean the "hip socket" known as the acetabulum where the femur inserts into the pelvis, or do you mean the top of the wings of the pelvis, what is called the iliac crest? (Your belt hangs on the iliac crest while your back pants pocket ends near the acetabulum.)

If your intention is to target the area around the iliac crest, try Bananasana, side bends while in Shoelace or Half Butterfly, or Reclining Twist with the top leg straight out to the side. If your intention is to target the hip socket, try Shoelace, Square, Winged Dragon or Swan poses. You can check the Yin Asana page to view these poses.

Remember, if you are feeling it, you are doing it. In Yin Yoga time is more important than intensity. You don't have to be at the maximum intensity for the pose to work its magic. Also remember, Yin Yoga is just half the equation: I would suggest you also keep doing some yang exercise for these areas too - standing poses like Triangle, Warrior Two and Eagle may be beneficial. Combining these with some core work like Crocodile, Boat and Locust poses could be very good for your lower back.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Bernie
010projects

additions

Post by 010projects »

Thanks os much for the response.

I do a 30min session each morning where I currently include the following poses:

- sleeping swan
- dangling
- dragon
- frog (though my feet are together, unlike the illustration)
- saddle

Each pose is held for 4mins and the extra 2 mins is junk time for changing between postures.

When I said "hips", I was referring to the iliac crest. So based on my session, what do you think I should edit/add to this? I can make time for another 10 minutes if need be, or use the evening for more time.

Thanks so much :)
Bernie

Yin for the iliac spine areas

Post by Bernie »

Your flow is good but if you strictly want to target the iliac crests, in all four directions, I might suggest the following

Opening Meditation
Bananasana (to work the sides of the pelvis)
Saddle (to work the front)
Caterpillar or Snail whichever is accessible (to work the back side)
Reclining Twist top leg straight to the side (works both the side and the back)
Shavasana

If you have time and would like you could add an external rotation via any of the Shoelace, Swan, Square or Winged Dragon. You can alternate the flow you listed one day with the above flow the next time.

Cheers
Bernie