Fracture of the acetabular + yin yoga

Check here for questions about Yin Yoga and hips. (Note: discussions about sciatica are in the Spine forum.)
Cathy

Fracture of the acetabular + yin yoga

Post by Cathy »

Hi, I fell off my bike and fractured the acetabulum (socket part of hip joint). Although there was no surgery the recovery is long - non weight bearing for 10-12 weeks (I am 5 weeks in) with gradual return to function. I have further restrictions - no more than 90 degree angle between torso and knee (so no bending forward), knee to stay below hip, no adduction, avoid flexion. This injury is compounded by the fracture to elbow on same side, though I should be weight bearing in the arm shortly (and can rest on forearm). Range of motion in elbow is good.

So, any thoughts on what return to yoga looks like? I was thinking perhaps I could continue to stretch good hip from prone position on bed, are there one sided stretches that don't trigger flexion or adduction in the bad side? Just gently fooling around, seems things are tightly coupled. Is it at all possible to keep mobility/flexibility in good hip with seated stretches/prone stretches before I am full weight bearing in the hip, or do I need to wait 6 months and come back later.

Thanks
Bernie

Yin whiile recovering

Post by Bernie »

What an adventure! Have you seen a physiotherapist yet? If so, what does he/she say? Having someone who can actually see you, see how you move, and who knows your body is really important. Advice through the web is less likely to be useful to you. When your doctor or physio tell you that a return to yoga is okay, that is the time to begin. But, your instinct to move the uninjured side seems valid and wise. You need to move! What about asking your health care providers about doing one-sided exercises?

There are several yoga poses that are asymmetrical, and maybe you can do those on your good side, just to keep moving and stressing your healthy parts. For examples: Half-Shoelace, with the bad hip’s leg out straight (you can add upper body twists and side bends while here); Dragon, with the good hip’s foot forward; Swan, again with the good hip’s foot forward; Bananasana, moving to the side of the bad hip. In the symmetric poses, there are several that can avoid the proscribed movements you mention – no adduction, no flexion at the hip – such as Reclining Butterfly, Sphinx and Seal poses. (You can find these poses explained in the Asanas section of YinSights.)

Obviously, these are all Yin Yoga poses, but they will help to keep your “good” side open, and should be of benefit to your whole body health due to the mobilization of chi, prana, energy. Add in Ocean Breathing and even some earthing while you do your practice and your immune/repair system will be enhanced. In time, you can use the same philosophical approach as you add back more yang yoga postures.

Good luck!
Bernie
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I was cleared for flexion with xray last week so that makes things a bit easier. Counter movements of the hip are more tolerable and I was cleared to kick in the pool.

Finally got into physio today. The crack of the acetabulum is posterior, rear of the portion in contact of the ball of the femur when walking. Fracture is aligned and not dislocated. So I am still to baby it a bit, and the good knee, but I have been put on range of motion exercise on bad leg so a bit of counter-pressure to a one-sided movement is fine. Just do not want to stress the good knee as I still need a leg to stand on!

Now that I am cleared to move a little bit more (but still 5 weeks to weight bearing) I will give this a go, thanks a lot.
Bernie

Hip problems

Post by Bernie »

Good luck, Cathy!

You said that the fracture is at the back (posterior) of the acetabulum. If so, you may want to minimize the amount of external rotation there when standing (ie: not pointing feet out to the sides) as that can bring the neck of the femur into contact with the posterior acetabulum. When sitting (when the hips are flexed 90 degrees) external rotation should be okay because you have rotated the acetabulum so that external rotation brings the neck of the femur closer to the lower rim (inferior) of the acetabulum. When in full flexion of the hips, external rotation should really be okay but you will want to avoid too much internal rotation then.

As you said, though, take "baby steps" for now.
Cheers
Bernie