vocal problems

Check here for posts regarding knees and Yin Yoga
MeeraKerr

vocal problems

Post by MeeraKerr »

I'm a singer, age 74. A few years ago I started to have problems with my voice, being unreliable and rough. My GP called it a lyringeal spasm, my acupuncturist says I have a yin deficiency. I've been doing yin yoga regularly for about 6 months now, but haven't noticed any improvement. Since the vocal cords are part of the facia system, It seems the tissues are basically dried out, creating the rough sound in my voice. I'm assuming there are stresses that can improve the tissues, but my knowledge of anatomy is pretty slim. But I love to sing, even when it isn't pretty, so I hope you can come up with some kind of miracle cure so I can lead kirtan again! I just finished the TT and I learned so much--so grateful, thank you.
Meera from Big Yoga
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Meera. Thanks for joining the Forum.

As you know, we are not therapists so cannot offer medical advice. Plus, unless you know the cause of your condition, it is purely guessing to suggest remedies. What is causing your “laryngeal spasm,? Is there an underlying medical condition, inflammation, infection, years of physical stress, or ??? Once you know the cause, then you can choose a treatment.

Your acupuncturist has the advantage of knowing you, which I don't. I do know that hoarseness can be linked to heart heat. Here is a nice site describing this condition. They note:
  • The vibrations produced during speech, or raising the voice, generate heat, and heat rises. Therefore, too much friction in the voice box creates an environment of excess heat, with the tendency for it to travel upwards, often at a speedy pace. This is the mechanism which can damage the vocal cords and cause a coarse, tired sounding voice.

If you are suffering from heart heat, you may also have other symptoms, such as mental agitation, insomnia, inappropriate laughter, being easily startled, a generally loud voice, constant talking, stuttering, talking while asleep and uncontrollable protruding of the tongue. So, is this what you have? If so, you may need to reduce the heat. But, if not, then there are other possible causes of your voice challenge.

You are asking if there is a yin yoga related way to help. I am not sure. Theoretically, although your voice is weak, you still want to exercise it. But, since it is weak, you must start gently. I would suggest you could try some easy singing sessions: like in a yin yoga class...start slow...maybe just a minute a day, maybe 2~3 times a week to start, then gradually increase. Simple sounds, like the slow Tibetan Cookie Mantra (Ooooo....Reeeee....oooo) with all those interesting subtones. Notice how you feel after each session and over the next day. The Oreo chant is fun and creates a lot of vibration in the throat area. That may stimulate healing.

Again, Meera...I am totally speculating. Seek professional assistance and see what they suggest. There are several online sites that have advice you can try. This one has many herbal suggestions. And, this one has lots of stuff to try.

Good luck!
Bernie

ps - you posted this in a strange place in the Forum, under knees. Not sure why you put it there. It would be better under the Yin Yoga and Other Body Parts section