Saddle n knees

Check here for posts regarding knees and Yin Yoga
sam

Saddle n knees

Post by sam »

Hi Bernie!

I could really benefit from the quad stretching saddle pose, but my knees won't take me there or any pose where my leg is tucked behind me for a long time

Can you suggest an alternative to the saddle that will give me a similar stretch?

I'm not sure if my knees are giving me trouble because my quads are tight or if they are just old and tired but it's definitely an area I need to work on!

Thanks!
sam

Post by sam »

Whoops! NM, I found a thread for half saddle. It's a bit achy bit I'm going to give it a try :)
Bernie

Alternatives to Saddle Pose

Post by Bernie »

Good luck with the Half Saddle option. Some other things you can try are
  • Windshield Wipers - lying down with the knees bent and the feet wide apart, drop both knees to the right. Reach down with the left hand and pull the left foot towards you. If the left knee is floating you can try placing a sand bag on it or rest your right ankle on the left knee. The intention here is to get some stress to the left quad and hip flexor while creating a bit of an arch to the lumbar. This is very similar to Half Saddle but some people find it easier to get into this version of the pose.

Swan or Dragons - these variations of lunges and Pigeon can also strongly target the quads. Emphasize the sensation in the extended back leg so that you feel the stress where you want it.
Cheers
Bernie