Stabalizition of the Thorasic spine

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
Laura Hahn

Stabalizition of the Thorasic spine

Post by Laura Hahn »

I have a bi level fusion at C5/6-6/7 and instability at C/7 thru T/3 and I am wondering what Yin Yoga postures could help stabilize this area.....and.....
which Yin postures should I avoid doing.
Thank you,
Mary
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Mary

I see you are using Laura Hahn’s account to post your question. Are you a student of hers? Just curious…

Before offering any suggestions for your spine, let me ask what your health care team is suggesting for you? Normally, Yin Yoga does not strengthen an area muscularly, and I would suspect that is what you need now more than mobilizing, which Yin Yoga would do for you. That is why I ask what your health care team suggest: do they want you to get more range of motion there, or to strengthen the muscles to enhance stability. If the latter, then you might be better served to do some easy yang practices to build strength in your upper back. Postures like Balancing Cat or Staff Pose (also known as Crocodile — where you hold a plank position with only your elbows and toes on the ground) may be excellent for you. For Staff pose start with your knees on the ground, and work up to only your elbows and toes touching the floor: start with short holds of maybe 30 seconds and work up towards 90 seconds eventually. This should enhance your core stability in all areas.

Yin Yoga should be reserved for stressing the ligaments of the spine and the various joints, like the facet joints. These too need to be exercised to be strong and stable and postures like Caterpillar, Butterfly, Sphinx and reclining twists may be beneficial, but only if you pay close attention to how you feel while in the postures, while coming out and afterwards. Maybe sure there is no pain at all. Start with short holds of maybe 2 ~ 3 minutes and work up to longer holds, or repeat the postures twice with the short holds.

I would suggest you avoid deep movements of the spine/neck: no need for Seal pose or Snail pose. Go for shorter depth and longer times, over time — don’t rush it! Good luck!

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie